I'm holding a beautiful woman <3

Ahh, how I love Captain America :3 I hope you enjoy this chapter!! :D

DISCLAIMER: I only own Lana Graham and my own twist on this story. Everything else goes to the makers of Captain America :)

“I don‘t know if I can do this.” Steve breathed, shaking his head. What he was about to do was finally truly setting in.

    We’d gone to rehearsals for weeks, practiced and practiced, even played through it in my apartment every Saturday. The job Steve signed up for was unlike any he thought he’d have. He was to play a man dressed in red, white and blue who sold bonds to get money to the military. And that night was Steve’s first performance in front of a real audience.

    “You can do this Steve.” I said, placing both of my hands on his shoulders and giving them a single squeeze, getting the jittery man to look at me.

    “What if I mess up?” He asked, his voice almost shaky. I gave him a ‘are you serious?’ look.

    We met up at my house on warm Saturday mornings and crawled out the fire escape and up onto the roof just so he could practice in a big open space. He had it down after the third practice but wanted to make sure he was perfect.

    “You won‘t.” I steeled my voice, trying to boost his confidence. With one more deep breath, he nodded once. I smiled and patted his arm before taking a step back.

    “I’ll see you on stage, Captain America. If you get nervous, I’ll be in the front row right in front of your spot.” He cracked a small grin at his new title and nodded again, knowing exactly where I’d be.

    “Trust me, Steve, your going to do great.” I said one final time before turning on my heels and walking towards the steps that would lead me to the seating.

    “Lana.” Turning back to Steve’s voice, my skirt flowed with me.

    I never wore skirts, ever. Unless someone forced me into them, that is. Until a week before, I was going to wear my usual attire to his grand opening. Then I realized how plain I’d look. So quickly, I bought the perfect outfit to wear. The dress itself was dark blue with a high collar that synched just below my bodice and flowed freely past my knees. I dressed up the outfit with a small white jacket and a pair of bright red heels.

    The colors clashed, but matched Steve’s uniform, to an extent. To give the outfit a theme, my long hair had a red, white and blue spangled bow with white lace accent. I even took time to sit down and do my makeup and put my hair in curlers, giving my usual pin straight hair perfect ringlet curls down my back.

    “You look beautiful” I took a sharp breath, not only at his comment, but at the heart stopping, gut wrenching, bright smile he was giving me. I knew he’d approve of me showing a more feminine side, but if that’s all it took for him to smile at me like that, I’d worn a dress that first day at Camp Lehigh.

    “Your up!” A man called out, throwing a mask at Steve before pushing him towards the curtain. Quickly, he pulled on the mask and adjusted it so his eyes were able to see out of the holes.

    I made my way down the steps quickly and had to make almost the entire row of people stand up so I could find my seat but I didn’t care, I was too excited and full of jitters of my own to worry about the scowls I was getting.

    As we waited for the stage to get it’s final setup, my thoughts drifted back to the weeks after the Colonel and Peggy left.

    I’d chosen to stay behind instead of going to fight Hydra. But I didn’t regret it. Peggy and I kept in touch and she telegrammed all the way from Germany every Sunday evening to get my help on an item or issue. From all the chaos I could feel just by touching the print from Peggy, I knew it had been a good choice to stay behind.

    The extra time with Steve had been wonderful as well. We grew to become great friends and if I wasn’t with him at his rehearsals, we were at the Goldie’s Boxing gym working on his fighting form. Most of the time I sat on a bench with a book and ‘read’ while he punched away at a large sand filled sack. And by ‘read’ I mean ‘flip a page every now and then but actually watch him workout’. I was subtle about it, and not once had he caught me staring.

    The nights when we had nothing to do, I dragged him on a night out. At first he didn’t want to do it until I gave him my best pouty face. That convinced him quickly and I was dragging him all over Brooklyn before he knew it. After a while, I didn’t even have to beg him and he always picked me up on time. 

    On one particular night, Steve was actually half an hour early and pulled me from my apartment before I had finished getting ready. He took me to an early showing of my favorite movie then dragged me to a park at the very top of a high hill. After we got to the top, we sat their in the grass until he jumped up and pointed at the sky. A few seconds passed before I saw a flash of light, then another, then hundreds. It was a meteor shower, the first I’d ever seen. It was breathtaking and I was speechless the entire time.

    When Steve asked me if I was enjoying myself, I threw my arms around him in a tight squeeze. I felt him tense under my embrace and I quickly realized what I’d done wrong. As I tried to shimmy away, he pulled me closer. We seemed to get comfortable the way we were because he kept me close to his side the rest of the night. Even after the meteor shower had vanished, we stayed on the hilltop for a long time.

    It had been late when he took me home and we were never the same after that, but in a better way. The awkwardness that surrounded him seemed to float away and his shoulders relaxed, his eyes even twinkled a little.

    When women started moving around on stage, I straightened in my seat and wiped off the dreamy smile just as Steve burst from the curtains.

    “Not all of us can storm a beach, or drive a tank but there‘s still a way all of us can fight.” I hid my smile behind my hand as I watched a nervous Steve read from flash cards on the back of his shield.

    “Series E defense bonds, each one you buy is a bullet in your best guy‘s gun.” I whispered in time with Steve as he read the next lime on the cards.

    More than once I saw him glance down at me, and every time he did I smiled and gave him a thumbs up, which got him more confidence as he went on. After the first performance, I couldn’t get back stage fast enough. He’d done wonderfully, although still a little nervous.

    “Steve! Steve!” I hollered the star’s name as I pushed through back stage helpers and stage women in their short dresses. With so much patriotic colors floating around, it was hard to pick him out. I finally stopped where I was and got up on my tip toes, barely seeing over the people around me. I could have used my powers if there weren’t so many people around.

    “Over here!” A hand shot up from the crowd, wielding the shield I’d seen in the show and I knew it was Steve.

    Slowly, I made it through the men and women crowding about until I reached out a hand, feeling his large warm one grab it and pull me beside him.

    “Glad to see you survived that mess.” He said close to my ear so I could hear him over all the people. I heard the playful banter in his voice and played along, waving my face and pretending to be scared.

    “I barely got out with my bow.” I joked back, touching my hair accessory. He eyes the bow for a second before touching it once and smiling. I looked back up at him, smiling as well.

    Another hand burst from the crowd and touched Steve’s shoulder, motioning him towards a photo set up. A long line of people were waiting to snap a picture with Captain America. He blew out a breath but smiled anyway.

    “Meet you after?” He asked, knowing the answer. I smiled and nodded.

    “After I get a picture with the Captain, I’ll head back to my apartment and get changed.” Steve offered his arm and I looped mine through his as he guided me through the crowd. I got the first official picture with Captain America. We stood close beside each other, his arm around my shoulder as he leaned down towards me, both of us smiling at the camera.

    At least I thought we were until I got our picture from one of the photographer’s helpers, who winked at me as she handed me the picture. I opened the envelope and my heart stopped for the second time that night when I saw that Steve hadn’t been looking at all. His gaze was down at my face, smiling that gut wrenching smile at me without me even realizing it.

    I slowly closed the envelope and turned to face Steve, who was holding a baby awkwardly as the photographer snapped the next picture. His gaze locked with mine and he smiled. I held the envelope to my chest, smiling back before I headed outside.

    It was a good three hours later before I heard a knock at my door. I launched from my couch, touching my hair and straightening my pants inside my boots before opening the door.

    “I’ve got the perfect place.” Steve said, holding his hand out to me. He smiled broadly at me and I couldn’t resist.

    After a taxi ride into downtown and the last showing of another war movie Steve wanted to see, we left the theater and into the chilly night. I wrapped my arms around myself and rubbed my arms. I felt something warm wrap around me and hold it there. It was Steve’s favorite leather jacket and his arms wrapped around me keeping it in place.

    “I don’t need it.” he whispered in my ear as he moved his arms from around me. We walked down the street, our arms brushing against each other occasionally as Steve lead me down the sidewalk.

    My gaze started wandering the scenery around me, all of the lights and people out was almost dizzying. The air seemed to be filled with electricity from the brick building and even the people around me.

    “Don’t let go, alright?” I almost jumped when I felt Steve’s hand slide into mine. His fingers closed around my much smaller hand as he gripped tight. I squeezed back and nodded, moving a step closer as the people traffic got thicker.

    Families out with their children and couples, married and not, mingled about walking at leisure paces. We mixed in with everyone else, almost. Since Steve was a good head taller than everyone else, he caught several people’s attention, mostly woman. Every time I started to linger behind, Steve would pull me close beside him until he pulled my arm through his, looping them and resting his other hand on my arm.

    I failed miserably to hide the bright blush on my face.

    “I’ve never held a dame this close before.” The words slipped through Steve’s lips before he could think about it. My eyes widened and I looked up at him, stopping in the middle of the people traffic.

    “A woman, I mean a woman. You’re a woman.” Steve stuttered, trying to make up for what he’d said. But I wasn’t upset, by any means. I thought I was at least pretty and being a dame in a man’s eyes meant you were beautiful, attractive even. I took it as a compliment

    I started to say something, smiling at the ground before looking back up at him. He moved away from me, releasing my arm and hand to stand in front of me, putting his hands up in defense.

    “Not that your not a dame, I mean you are beautiful. But a woman.” When he called me beautiful, his eyes never left mine as me motioned to me with his hands.

    “Steve-” I tried again but was interrupted once again.

    “A beautiful woman.” He finally said, leaving those three words hanging in the air between us. My smile broadened and I moved back to his side, looping my arm back through his and getting us walking again.

    We were silent for a few seconds before Steve spoke up again.

    “I’m holding a beautiful woman.” He breathed out, looking down at me and giving me that melting smile. For the third time that day, my heart stopped and everything around me seemed to melt.

    “Wow.” He sighed, looking up at the dark sky and laughing. I leaned my head on his arm, not able to wipe the smile from my face.

    “Keep going, Captain, you still have to show me places.” I cleared my throat before I spoke up. We went back to just holding hands, both of us grinning like fools.

    We passed a few shops and a large crowd poured from a restaurant just as we passed in front of it. A few kids shoved between us, followed by their parents. We were able to avoid the kids by raising our adjoined hands but the taller father rushed right after them, breaking our link.

    It was like a tidal wave and I lost sight of Steve quickly as more and more people poured from the diner.

    “Steve!” I shouted, trying to see his face over everyone else’s while on my tip toes.

    “Ste-” I was about to shout out again when I felt someone grab my mouth and wrap another hand around my waist and pull be back into a pitch black alley and away from all of the crowd and electricity.

CLIFFHANGER!!!! XD I'm sorry!!! Haha.. Buuuut.. If I can get a few votes and comments on this story, I'll happily update earlier :3 Don't forget to rate, vote and comment!!! :D