Chapter 21

"Thank you for saving me," Ian said. Adela smiled at him and took his hand to squeeze it. "Del, are you okay?" he asked.

"Woozy," Adela answered. "It's gone. My magic is gone."

Ian frowned and scooted closer to her. "This negative effect will be over soon," he said. "Until then, we can stay here."

"Then still don't know I'm okay," Adela realized. "And now I have nothing to show for me being missing for a year and comatose for two months."

"That's not true," Ian told her. He moved against the trunk of the tree and Adela leaned against him. "You caused inter-something peace! The demons were talking about it. You did a spell and made faeries supreme?"

Adela nodded and waved it off dismissively. "Yes, yes, but why were you kidnapped by demons anyway?" Ian looked down bashfully.

"I felt angry so... I sought them out. Gave them a stern talking-to." Adela exclaimed.

"You sought them out! Why would you do something so stupid?"

"You went to the faerie!" Ian countered. "Why can you if I can't?"

Adela groaned. "I was saving us! You were 'angry'!" Both were silent for a while. Then Ian finally spoke.

"I'm sorry. It was petty, I know. It won't happen again."

Adela shook her head. "No, it won't, because I'll have no magic. I'll be useless." Ian guided her eye line toward his as he looked at her seriously.

"You could never be useless." Ian kissed Adela again. She was surprised, but pleased. "Never," he repeated. Adela sighed and stood up.

"We should probably go back. Tell them that the universe is balanced and all that jazz." Ian laughed and let her go down the ladder first. He climbed down and stopped beside Adela, who was standing away from the tree and looking at it. "The magic on this place will never wear off," she said wisely.

"Really?" Ian asked, impressed. Adela nodded.

"Never."

"How do you know?" Ian asked.

Adela shrugged. "I just do." Ian smiled and took her hand. The magical handle of the vine wall still worked, and the two went home.

They walked in the front door and were immediately blasted by hot air. Neither had realized the cold as they'd both been in it for so long. Adela realized that their special place didn't have magical heating anymore. She sighed. The tiny noise spurred a whole house full of movement. People bounded into the front hallway from all corners. Adela and Ian jumped back at the assault.

"Adela," Samuel breathed. "You're awake." Adela went to him and hugged her father tightly.

"I missed you," she lied. She hadn't had any time to miss him, and he'd been in her dream. Lucy tapped her shoulder. Adela hugged her. "Luce! I missed you too!" All of these were lies. Lucy hadn't been in her coma dream, but she hadn't known her. You can't miss someone if you don't know they exist.

Everyone hugged Adela. Some people hugged Ian. "What happened?" Eve finally asked. Adela and Ian looked at each other.

"It's a long story," Ian said finally. "I'm sure you don't want to-"

"Yes, we do," Collard interjected. Adela and Ian both sighed.

"Fine," Adela said, "But I'm not telling it all. I'll write it down and y'all can read it. Sound good? Great. Bye." She ran upstairs and closed the door of her room. When she heard it slam, Adela immediately felt bad. They'd done nothing. Lots of nothing. No helping her, no- Adela sighed. That wasn't fair. She hadn't asked for anybody's help but Ian's. He'd given too much already. She didn't know why, but he had emerged as the one person she trusted above everything else.