Chap 5

The yacht was much larger than we had first realized up close. Everything about it was dark. No spotlights, no window lights, not even any running lights. Combined with the fact that we didn’t turn on our own lights in an effort to remain unseen it was almost pitch black. 

We outfitted ourselves accordingly. Each person got a gun, a melee weapon of some sort, a stick of dynamite, and a lighter. Kyle brought along his bow for sneak attacks so we elected him to go first up the ladder dangling from the side of the ship. I followed him up with my knife in my teeth, a pistol in my hand, and my Thompson strapped on my back. Everyone else trailed behind. 

The main deck was quiet. Nothing moved, not even a rat scurried across the hardwood. We moved forward as quickly and as silently as possible. A small door stood on our left. I opened it and slipped through. Everyone else followed and Miranda closed the door behind us. The room was even darker than it was outside. Someone hit a light switch and the lights came on. We discovered that we had stumbled into the sleeping quarters of the crew and of course it was full of sleeping crew members. The light had disturbed them and they where beginning to wake up. 

Not wasting any time, we bounced on them and had them bound and gagged before they knew what hit them. We headed out from there.

We searched the ship looking for more crewmen that might be on watch. However we met no one in the boiler room, the navigation room, the galley or near the bathrooms. We then found a door labeled “Captain's Quarters.”

“Jackpot,” I whispered to the others. I tried to turn the knob. It was locked so I did the only thing I could. I pulled out my pistol and shot the lock out. I then opened the door and we poured in. 

My shot must have woken the captain because the lights where on and he was on his feet with a revolver in one hand and an Uzi in the other. However the members of the  L.A. street gang where faster than he was. Jared charged forward and knocked the firearms from his hands while almost simultaneously Devon slammed the captain with a massive takedown pinning him o the floor. 

Thats when things went bad. A voice came from over by the door. “Give up kids, you’re no match for us.”

Enemy soldiers poured into the door. One large man grabbed Olivia and Emily by the scruffs of their necks and hoisted them into the air. We where attempting to make a fight for it but stopped when we saw this. 

“Drop your weapons! All of you!” shouted the captain. We let all of our weapons fall to the floor.

“Now, hands on the backs of your heads and march out the door. Move!”

We did as we where told and they escorted us to a lower deck. We entered a hallway that appeared to be a prison block. Then with a laugh the enemy sailors shoved us into a cell and slammed the door. 

I heard the Captain talking with his second in command as they walked away. “Let’s get back to Singapore before anything else happens.”

Singapore? 

“So thats where these guys are based, but where did all of this originate from?” I whispered to myself.

I turned from the door and took a look at the cell. Four beds, a water basin, one dim light, a door leading to a toilet, no windows and no obvious mean of entry or exit except for the door. The only thing we could do was wait. I found a comfortable corner in the back of the room and dozed off.

It seemed that I had only closed my eyes when a loud clang sounded through the hall. I opened my eyes and saw a man with a food tray entering the cell. 

“Everyone on the far wall!” he commanded. We did as we where told. He set the tray on one of the beds then went out the door closing it behind him. All the while being careful not to turn his back on us. The whole day went by like this. When it came time for us to eat someone would bring in a tray of food then leave. This routine left us bored.     With nothing else to do I began to plan. I soon formulated an escape plan. I bounced a few ideas off of Jared. Eventually we came up with a plan that was worth trying. 

Three days after our initial capture off of the California coast, we made our move.  I heard a crew member with a tray moving down the hallway. I signaled to Jared and we moved to opposite sides of the door out of the line of sight from the hallway. 

“Everyone on the far wall!” came the usual command. Jared and I didn’t move while the others did as they where told. The cell door opened and a large man began to ease his way through the door. When he was most of the way in the room he noticed Jared standing to his right. He dropped the tray and reached for the pistol at his side. That’s when I came up behind him and hit him over the head. He let out a surprised grunt and fell to the floor.

Everybody jumped up and rushed for the door. I grabbed the gun and followed them out closing the door behind me and trapping the enemy sailor in the cell. 

This time around we did not attempt to tie people up this time. We all sprinted towards the exit. I blasted out the lock and we raised havoc. 

The enemy personnel where in no way prepared for an uprising from inside. However they still put up a fight. For the most part they just used their fists and knives but we did come across a few personnel who where carrying firearms. Unfortunately I did have to open fire on a few people. 

This time the takeover went without a problem. The whole thing lasted maybe ten minutes tops. Of the ships original crew only ten where dead. We had sustained no losses.  

I walked out to the top deck and looked out across the Pacific. The sun was beginning to set over the water sending out radiant colors of red, orange, and gold. It was and incredible sight. Thats when I noticed a pain in my right arm. I looked at it and saw a bullet wound. Funny I hadn’t noticed it until now. It didn’t look to be too serious. 

I went back down to the prison block to help the others herd the prisoners into their cells. Jared came over to me

“All enemy crew accounted for.” he said. Then he noticed my arm. “What happened to you?”

“Got shot I suppose,” I replied. I watched as the others locked the prisoners into their cells and let out the other pows like us. I knew that they wouldn’t escape as easily because nobody was going into the prison block without backup.

I then noticed a warm sensation running down my arm. I looked and noticed my own blood running down my arm and dripping on the floor. 

“C’mon,” Jared said, “Let’s get you patched up.”