Chapter 2

Chap 2

A half hour after I left my house all of us where assembled. Each of us had found plenty of knives, guns and supplies to last us for a while. Kyle had even brought a bow and some arrows.

“Alright now that we are here I think that we should elect a leader,” I said to the group. 

“You should be the leader Jesse!” Shouted Brandon from the back.

“Seriously? Why me of all people?” I asked him.

“Because if it weren’t for your leadership our football team wouldn’t have made it to state last year, and you’re the top of the class as well,” He replied.

“Okay, all in favor of electing me as the leader?” Everyone raised their hands.

“Alright, looks  like I’m leader then,” I said to the people closest to me, “Well first things first, we need transportation and a plan of action. Anybody have a suggestion?”

“I got one for transport,” Miranda said, “A truck and trailer would do nicely don’t you think?” 

“A truck with a camper trailer would be better in my opinion,” said Kyle.

“I agree with both of you,” I replied, “I even know where we could get one as well. There’s a truck with a camper sitting in the middle of town and I think it may belong to the enemy. Hope they don’t mind lending it to us. Now we just need a plan. Why don’t we head towards the Pacific, swipe a yacht or other small vessel, then find some island to set up our base?” 

Everyone agreed that it was a good idea seeing as we really didn’t have much of a better plan anyway. So we all headed back into town.

The entire town was filled with enemy soldiers and armored vehicles. Attack helicopters and transport aircraft flew overhead. On more than one occasion we where forced to hide in a garage or in some bushes to avoid detection. 

It took us an hour to get to it, but we managed to get to the truck I had told everyone about. And luck was on our side that the keys where in the ignition. As stealthily as we could we loaded our supplies into the camper. While everyone else was preparing to leave, John and myself went to the front of the truck and hopped in. It had enough gadgets to make any over the road trucker jealous. A coffee maker, a snack machine, and a two way phone system to connected to the camper. 

After checking out the cab we went back towards the camper. The others had just finished up putting all of our supplies into it.

“I certainly hope that these modern Nazis don’t mind if we borrow one of their transport units,” Brandon joked.

“Save the jokes for when we’re out of town with nobody chasing us,” John said to him.

“Okay ladies and gentlemen. This is it. If we can make it to the interstate we should be good to go. We need to figure out who’s driving first and who’s riding shotgun.” I was starting to like everyone looking to me for what to do. 

We all agreed that John and I would ride up front first. After an hour John would go to the trailer, I would take the wheel and someone else would ride shotgun. We didn’t really want to have to stop to rest for the night. 

Between John and myself we decided that he should drive first. How we managed to get out of town without being stopped and questioned still puzzles me. Everything went smooth. The truck ran beautifully. It even had two large tanks and both where full of fuel. Everything was going great. Until we hit the interstate turnoff.

A car that had no identifying markings came up behind us flashing lights at us. Not wanting to look suspicious we pulled over. A man in a uniform that I didn’t recognize got out of his car and proceeded up to the cab. I radioed the camper and told the occupants to stay low and silent.