Chapter 20: Annabeth

            THE PARTHENON WAS BEAUTIFUL.

            As soon as Annabeth stepped into the temple, her eyes were transfixed on every miniscule detail. The temple was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen, despite its age.

            The temple was breathtaking in a powerful and regal manner. Annabeth could practically feel Athena’s strength and wisdom radiate throughout the temple. The large pillars towered over Annabeth. They looked strong, despite a few of them were crumbling.         

            The temple itself was huge. It was extremely long and also quite wide. Annabeth felt like an ant compared to the towering pillars.

            She slowly walked in a full circle before her eyes landed in the middle of the temple.

            The earth was slightly raised. It looked as if something had been set in the center of the temple. The earth was darkened, as if something heavy had been sitting on the raised earth.

            Chills ran down Annabeth’s spine. She was staring at the place where the Athena Parthenos had been.

            She walked over to the raised earth and brushed her hand against it. At once she felt chills, immediately sensing the power of the amazing statue. She could feel her heart quicken as she looked around the large temple once more.

            The Parthenon was already a sight for sore eyes. If the Athena Parthenos had not been stolen by the Romans, this temple would have been even more appealing.

            This temple was amazing. Annabeth had waited all her life to see it, and now she was here. It all felt like a dream. She was literally living her dream, and she had to enjoy it while she could.

            When she would face Enceladus, this dream would fade. She had to savor this moment.

            As if she had been speaking aloud, giant footsteps broke her from her thoughts. At once she sprung to her feet, grabbing her ivory sword and gripping it tightly. All of her happy thoughts diminished until she felt nothing but fear and determination.

            The giant finally came close enough until Annabeth could see his details. She resisted the urge to get sick on the spot, wishing that he could remain hidden.

            He was at least twenty feet tall, but he was probably taller. From his waist up, he resembled a humanoid. He was wearing bronze armor, the design with a single flame on the breastplate. His legs were dragon legs that were a swampy green color. His feet were not feet at all- they were claws. His black dreadlocks hung past his shoulders, and bones were woven through them. (They were probably bones of deceased demigods, though Annabeth didn’t want to think about that.) His skin was bronze, so bronze that it looked like he had used too much fake tan. He didn’t have pupils; his eyes were marble white. He was holding a spear in his hand that was about to size of a flagpole.

            “Ah, welcome to the Parthenon, my opponent!” Enceladus cried, cackling. “My mother says that you are the brightest demigod of this era! But I will be the judge of that, since I am the smartest giant there is.”

            Enceladus’s voice was rough, reminding Annabeth of the sound of someone stepping on broken glass. The way he spoke sent a shudder down her spine.

            But she couldn’t let him know how scared she truly was.

            Annabeth lifted her chin, almost in defiance. She managed a proud smile and said loudly, “Gaea was right. I am the smartest demigod. My mother herself gave me the Mark of Athena to lead me to the Athena Parthenos, and I succeeded!”