Welcome Home

"Mya?" Paris asked, peeking over the fence.

  "Yes?" I replied, harvesting wheat from the farm.

  "Did Jeremy do this?"

  "Do what?"

  "I mean, is my daddy gone because of him?" I froze. How did she find out?

  "Paris, how do you know about that?"

  "I remember."

  "Remember what?"

  "I remember that night. I was asleep and I woke up. I thought it all was a dream." She took a breath." I heard noises downstairs and thought it was my dad, so I ran down the stairs and saw a man that wasn't my father. He glared at me and ran out the door. This frightened me so I yelled to my dad. He asked what was wrong and I told him what I had witnessed. My dad urged me to go back to bed, so I did. When I laid down, I heard a faint scream. I woke up the next morning and my dad was- he was- gone." Paris finished her story concealing her cries. I shuffled over to her.

  "Calm down, shhh, it's okay." She grasped onto me. "Don't worry, I'm here."

  We sat next to the farm for twenty minutes before she spoke up. "Mya?"

  "Umhm?"

  "Can I trust you?"

  "Of course Paris"

  "Okay, good." I was a bit confused by her question. 

  "Want to go inside? I can make you some cookies if you want." I smiled down at her.

  She wiped her tears, "That would be great!"

*********************

  We walk inside the house, both lost inside our own thoughts.

  "So, Paris, what do you feel like doing?" I ask, with a genuine smile on my face.

  "Uhm, I don't know... Oh oh, can we go mining?" she asks with excitement in her eyes. Well, it has been awhile since I've gone mining; and I do need some supplies.

  "Sure why not." I reply with a genuine smile. Paris grows with excitement, she grabs my hand and leads me over to the chest.

  "What do we need?" she speaks to herself. Paris grabs two pickaxes; one for me and one for her. She also grabs some food, a couple of torches and a shovel. "Let's go!"

  I followed her down the cold stone stairs and into the mine. She picked a path, followed it, and handed me a pickaxe. 

  "Okay, first one to find a diamond wins!" I nodded at her challenge. "Three..Two.. Oneeee.. GO!"

  We both started our tunnel, side by side. The stone made a clunking sound as it fell to the floor as bricks. I found a vein of coal and mined it for torches. She, however, found some iron. The mining continued on for about twenty minutes before she found a diamond. 

  "Yes! I found one! Can I keep it?" She begged me.

  "Of course." She smiled with glee.

  We continued to mine for awhile. At this time, we both were filled with drowsiness. 

  "Okay, I'm going to go to bed, Paris." She looked at me with tired eyes.

  "Me too".

   Dragging our pickaxes behind, we walked up the chilly steps into the hall. It was now dark out. I saw an outline in my room. It looked like, no it couldn't be.

"Cobb?"

Yes, you don't need to remind me. I know that this chapter is terrible. I know. Truthfully, I might end this book. I can't find any ideas and I can't write.