Chapter 32

They were on the road again. (Well, technically the tracks)

When asked what had happened back there, Kenny had just shoved right past without a backwards glance. Even without an explanation, everyone noticed the extra absence of another member of the group.

Clementine was sitting on the edge of the open train door with her legs hanging out to Lee's subtle dismay. Her walkie-talkie was in reach to her side. Lee hunkered down beside her with a worried grimace, "You want to talk?"

"Uh, uh." She shook her head glumly.

"You understand what happened?"

Her voice was barely audible with her reply, "Yes."

"Okay." Clem was worrying him, in more ways than one. Although Lee tried his best to keep Clementine from experience all these hellish things of this world, they just couldn't be avoided. It wouldn't do good to just keep all her thoughts just bottled up inside of her. Sooner or later, she'll break...

"What are you thinking about?" Lee pressed.

"What Chuck said."

He arched his brow in confusion, "What'd Chuck say?"

"...That what happened to Duck would happen to me."

Lee heated up, a curse unconsciously popped out, "...What? The fuck he did."

"Swear."

"Sorry. I'm gonna go talk some sense into him."

Clementine whispered, "Don't be mad."

Lee quickly got off, already knowing where the man in question was. Crossing over to the front of the train cab, he strode past Kenny towards the front door and found Chuck casually lounging against the rails. He looked up at his presence.

"Hey." Lee called, crossing his arms in anger.

"How ya doin'?"

Might as well get straight to the point. "Don't talk to my girl. Just stay away from her."

He narrowed his eyes, "Excuse me, son?"

"I heard you told her she was going to die; that she was gonna end up like Duck. Why'd you go and do that?"

"'Cause she is." Chuck stared into Lee's eyes, "I don't know much about you folks, but I can tell you, sure as the sun gon' come up tomorrow, that ya'll keep going on like this and that girl ain't gonna make it."

Lee snapped back, "What do you know?"

"I know that you don't have a goddamn plan. We get to Savannah and then what?"

"We find a boat."

Chuck looked amused, "You think that's a new idea? You got even the foggiest idea 'bout where you're gonna find one of those?"

"..."

"Look, sit down with the girl and hash it out. Find a map for Christ's sake - I'd give you one if I had it." He began, "And if something were to happen to you..."

"It won't." Lee cut in.

"If it were, you gotta prepare the girl." Chuck sighed, "Teach her to use a weapon and for criminy, cut that hair!"

"She's just a little girl..."

"And she'll die a little girl if you treat her like one. You gotta consider her a living person. That's it. You're either living or you're not. You ain't little, you ain't a girl, you ain't a boy, you ain't strong or smart. You're alive."