“Good. Joanna worries.”

She was here too?! Oh I wanted to run inside and find her! I was overrun with joyous emotion, to know Joanna was safe and well!

“Come inside, come inside,” The Queen turned, seemingly sensing my elation. “Joanna just made tea.”

The smells of herbs and woodsy goodness greeted my nose, reminding me instantly of Joanna and of home. I smiled as I took in the good smells. Rosemary, lavender, lemon thyme, basil, moss, damp wood and a faint rosy smell enticed my nose.

“Evelyn!” Joanna’s voice awoke me from my daydream, and I caught a glimpse of her as she bounded into my arms. She hugged me tightly, crying out with joy. “Oh I’ve missed you so much! How is everything? Oh, little Geraldine! How is Terrin? The boys?”

I laughed. “Everything is fine! I promise.” I smiled when she leaned back.

She regained her composure, straightening her skirts. She was in a light, white chiffon gown, and no corset. I found her dress a bit funny- for she was always formal and wore bright colors, until I noticed her protruding stomach.

“Joanna!”

Her hand flew to her stomach. “I know . . . I know.”

“You’re . . . .” I couldn’t think of what to say. She was pregnant with obvious signs of a boy. What would Terrin think? The king? The entire castle?

I knew that by legend, witches were born, not made. So would everyone think of her as innocent now? Of course, that was utter nonsense. Witches were made. But no one would listen to that. And it being the prince’s child . . . .

I noticed Madeleine in the same condition.

I wanted to pass out from so much excitement. They were both pregnant! I couldn’t believe this. Would the castle think it a hoax? Or elaborate scheme?

Madeleine looked further along than Joanna.

“Sorry,” I said after a moment, realizing I was being rude. “You must tell Terrin, Joanna!”

“I . . . I don’t know.” She sat down at small, rickety, wooden kitchen table after we did. “I’ve debated it. But I simply can’t imagine his reaction.”

“I’ll tell him! He must understand!”

“Calm down Eve.” My mother gently said, pouring us all tea from a small blue china kettle.

Chamomile. It would definitely calm my nerves. I took in the woodsy taste with ease. I couldn’t put Joanna in worry or stress- or the queen for that matter. But Terrin had to know. Surely he’d want to know about his own child . . . .

“I’m about six months along.” Joanna patted my hand gently. “You shouldn’t worry over me.”

“I am.” I protested. “If Terrin knows about this child . . . he’ll put a stop to all this witch nonsense.”

She mournfully shook her head. “I just . . . can’t tell him.”

“Why not?”

“It isn’t simple, young Evelyn.” Madeleine spoke. “It is understandable for us both to be afraid of the king and prince’s reactions, but we simply can’t send a letter or messenger.”

“Yes, your highness.” I nodded meekly.

“It must be approached with caution,” my mother added. The queen nodded.

“How can we do it?” I asked.

“Well . . . I don’t know if I want to.” Joanna mumbled.

“Don’t say that!” I took her hand. “I know Terrin is worried about you. He’s repressing it. I can tell because I’ve known him all my life. He mentions not a word about life back home, or anyone at the castle, or his uncle or anybody or anything!”