-chapter 37-

We passed the castle within a few short minutes, and we remained on the outskirts of the King’s owned land. We were headed towards the vast forest on the opposite side of the small one at the castle, and I could only wonder what Mother had to show me here.

We talked about everything that had happened recently: father’s injury- and him laughing at me, Gwindire’s promise to Hector, Terrin’s ideas, Bacmand’s talents, the boy’s rowdy mouths . . . . It was quite much to catch up on.

Mother in return told me all the gossip of the castle. Apparently Joanna and Madeleine’s unexplained absences was causing a split amongst the court. Those who favored their innocence claimed the others had warded them off, while the accusers had claimed they fled in fear- knowing they’d be executed as witches. Apparently the King would have none of this, and many dinners were silent in his presence.

He had planned to leave and join his men soon.

“But we’re going to make everything better soon.” My mother was saying. “I have a deep secret to show you, that you mustn’t reveal to anyone. Anyone.”

“Yes ma’am.”                                    

We were deeper into the forest now. About two hours had passed. According to Mother, we were very close.

At her instructions, we dismounted our horses as we came upon the edge of the end of the forest. Well, it wasn’t the end exactly, but rather a small loop from the outside plains. Almost like an inlet or bay for an ocean, except with a field and trees here.

As my eyes adjusted to the sudden inlet of light on the small field, I noticed a well-built dwelling at the edge of the forest on the opposite side of the small field. It looked to be two-stories, with a stable in the back yard and a vast garden on the right side.

A few servants- to my surprise- where meandering about- some with laundry baskets, others at the stables and a few in the gardens. At our arrival, a few noticed our presence, and who I assumed to be the head maid gathered her skirts and made her way over from the laundry lines.

She bowed at my mother, giving a small curtsy to me.

“Lady Donatella. We’re happy you’ve made it safely back.”

Back?

“Thank you, Fiara.” My mother smiled.

Fiara called to two young boys by the stables. They sauntered over- they looked no more than ten each, and took the reins to Lance and my mother’s mare.

I let Geraldine hop into my arms before they led the horses away.

“I’ll go tell the Ladies.” Fiara bowed her head and rushed inside the lovely little cottage.

My mother gently took my hand and led me forward. I was amazed by this hidden little house in the forest break, as if it was a secret little getaway with all the pleasures and luxuries of the castle.

I loved it. I wondered if the estate that Gwindire’s father left to us was as wonderful as this. I couldn’t wait to go and see it. I’m sure if I wanted it- or even asked for it, Gwin would make sure I had my own little secret in the forest like this.

When the lady came back out- I marveled to see that it wasn’t the head maid Fiara. Instead . . . Queen Madeleine?!

My tried not to let my jaw drop. I was too flabbergasted to say a proper greeting, but bowed as my mother had.

“There you are, Donatella! I’ve been waiting!” she smiled warmly.

“Oh, Madeleine you know I had to wait on Eve.” My mother winked at me. “She says the boys are alive and well- healthier than ever, to be exact.”