-chapter 6-

(to the right is Gwindire)

Joanna laughed. She adored Geraldine, who returned her affection. When I was busy, I’d always let her keep Geraldine for a day or so, but every night, Geraldine would yip and yap until I let her up onto my bed to sleep.

I had told Joanna all the rumors that were going around.

Her eyes grew wide. “Do you think it’ll actually happen?” she pondered.

I shrugged. Mother was brushing our hair, each in turn.

“Your father thinks it’s all rubbish.”

“Father thinks everything is rubbish.” I commented.

“Evelyn! He takes pride in his work, with a very serious manner.”

“So that’s what my father was talking about,” Joanna sat very still as Mother braided her hair. “He believes it’s true. I didn’t know what he was talking about, so I didn’t say anything. But that was before . . . he got sick.” Joanna’s father had fallen under pneumonia, and was sent off to an infirmary, where he was said to but die within a fortnight.

“That is interesting, however.” My mother added. “Gwindire’s father will be leading the troops, according to your friend, Evelyn.”

“Gwindire said that?!” I couldn’t believe it. I’d have to talk to him later. If he was that concerned about the rumor, that only meant he was more than excited to go into battle next to his father. He had always told me he was ready to prove to King Harold he was worthy taking his father’s place as the Knight General.

“Sit still, Eve.” My mother commanded, trying to start a braid on my hair. She had already finished Joanna’s.

I was already anxious to see Gwindire. Hopefully he wouldn’t be training, as he seemed to be constantly doing these days. I waited patiently for Mother to finish and then I took off, looking for Gwindire immediately.

~

I found him in his usual spot, taking a momentary break.

“Gwindire!” I confronted immediately. “I need to speak with you.”

He glanced at his father.

“Go ahead, Gwindire. You did enough for the day.” His father nodded, turning to other business.

“C’mon Eve, let’s go by the river.”

He was speaking of the Andrees River. I nodded and followed him. He had already gotten his own personal suit of armor. It was a beautiful suit, nonetheless, one of black metal trimmed with gold. It showed his status as the general’s son.

We stopped by his sister’s quarters, who promptly took his discarded armor to clean. She was very supportive of her father and brother, and did almost anything for the good of the army. Her name was Olivia, and she was nearly Gwindire’s twin. They both had golden hair and gleaming hazel eyes. Gwindire and Olivia both reflected images of beauty, which was clearly seen in both of their parents.

After Gwindire changed into something more suitable for walking, we set off to the river.

Once we arrived, we sat on the sandy bank.

“What is of such ungraceful importance that you need scream at me?” he teased.

“The rumors. Of war. Is it true?”

“Why do you ask me?” he cocked an eyebrow, still taunting me.

“Oh Gwin cut it out!” I cried. I was concerned, and he obviously wasn’t.

“Oh, alright. I’m beginning to think you’ve lost your spark.”

I punched his shoulder.

“Ow!” I knew I didn’t really hurt him. “Okay, my mistake. But back to business. I really would like to tell you all that happens here within the King’s knight council, but it’s classified. Sorry Eve.”

“Oh, come on,” I pleaded, trying to look sweet. “I just want to know, is all.”

He grinned and laughed. “Oh, no, I know that look. Nice try.”

I huffed. Another method of mine was pouting.

“Nope.”

I pursed my lips. I would break him somehow. Maybe . . . “Gwindire,” I said sweetly. He looked at me with renewed interest. “It’s only fair that I know. I won’t tell.” I crossed my heart. “Besides, I must know, so I can look after you.”

He hesitated before speaking. My flattery wasn’t much, but he was a boy after all, and I could take it to a whole other level if needed be.

His mouth suddenly broke into a grin. “Alright. You swore though.”

I nodded.

“The king denies it, but there is talk from our barbarian enemies to the west of revenge.”

“Revenge? For who?”

He shrugged. “I think they’re just out for blood. It’s in their nature to fight. Or maybe they’re just jealous of all of our beautiful women.”

He winked at me.

Normally I would’ve rolled my eyes, but instead I found myself smiling.

“Are you going to fight?” I asked, even though I already knew the answer.

“Of course! Under my proud Dolotov surname- proud Father- King Harold- Mother Hail Mary- The Heavenly Father- and my Dearest Evelyn.”

The last part threw me off for a second. His war-pride was evident, even though he had never been in a real fight.

“Me?” I finally asked.

“Of course! Every knight needs a lady’s honor!”

I smiled.

“Besides, there’s no lady- save Mother and the Virgin Mary, that I trust more than my dear friend Evelyn.”

“Thank you, Gwindire.”

He bowed his head. “I ask for your honor and blessing, good Lady.”

I laughed. “Surely you jest.”

“No,” he looked almost serious. Almost. “I want your blessing as I fight for King Harold’s kingdom.”

As tradition, I pulled out a small white lace handkerchief and handed it to him. “I give you blessings and protection, Sir Gwindire.” I never did anything by tradition, but I saw this as important to him, so I went along with it.

“Thank you, Evelyn.” He looked extremely happy. He took my handkerchief and kissed my hand.

We smiled to each other.