-chapter 20-

I wasn’t even sure how to tell Joanna about the trio mess I was now in. Besides, even if I knew how to tell her, I’d have to say it in front of Terrin- the two had been glued to each other’s side lately. My mother noticed my unsettlement, and inquired me about it. I whispered to her I would tell her later; not in front of Father.

I wanted to scream and cry and run into my mother’s warm arms like a small child. But I couldn’t do that anymore. I was Evelyn Lockhart, disruptive, unladylike, following boys into wars and meshing hearts of my best friends. I deserved no mother’s love if I had any say so. Luckily my mother was an ever-loving source for me.

I leaned my head into the little nook in-between her neck and shoulder, her hand patting my hair and her rosy voice whispering soothing things to me.

“Now dear,” she said, sitting me down in front of her. She was calmly and precisely stitching in needlework, on what looked to be a small cozy. I noted how her stitches were perfect and even, unlike my untidy and sloppy work. “What has gotten you in such a tussle?”

I took a deep breath and slowly sighed. Donatella, the mother angel on Earth, my mother and cherub for my saintly suspicions, was the one I could trust the most. I let little Geraldine hop into my lap and petted her head, picking my words carefully before speaking.

“I suppose Father has told you of the engagement?” I slowly asked.

She nodded. “Congratulations.”

“I don’t know what to do. Both Terrin and Hector are horribly upset about my engagement to Gwindire. I believe Hector has fallen for me, yet Terrin has as well. Terrin made the mistake of kissing me in front of Hector, so Hector punched him, and now they’re mad at each other. Gwin is mad at me because I’m doubting our engagement because—“

She looked up sharply from her sewing. “Evelyn! Slow down!”

I bit my tongue and nearly burst into tears.

She went back to her sewing, still stitching with slow, meticulous movements. “Now, what’s the business with you and Hector, to start?”

“He loves me.”

“Is it unrequited?”

I dreaded this question. I had said it to Hector, so I could tell my mother. “No.”

She didn’t look up. She didn’t look phased or even mad. Sometimes I wondered just how amusing I was to my mother. She used to call me her little bundle of surprise.

“Alright,” she continued, still staring down at her work. “So Hector must be fairly upset for your engagement to his friend.”

“Best friend; brother.” I corrected, mumbling.

“Hm. I suppose your love is unrequited towards Terrin?”

I nodded.

“Speak up, Evelyn. Be a lady.”

“Yes ma’am.”

She nodded again. “And what were you saying about Gwin?”

“Well . . . that’s the hard part. I’m afraid he’s also claimed my heart as his. But this is unknown by Hector and Terrin. He told me so. He’s actually excited for our marriage.”

“Are you simply upset at Hector and Gwindire’s affection?” she asked, her thick and black eyelashes fluttering once in a perfect blink.

“I don’t know.” I shook my head furiously, my hands balled up. “It was an accident. I hadn’t mean to say Gwin’s name. Father’s all to happy for it though, as is Gwin.” My chest started heaving in the way that I knew would make me cry. “I straightened things with Hector, but now he and Gwin won’t talk. And their friendships are ruined because of me.” Now I started crying. I didn’t care just how unladylike I was at the moment. I let those horrible cascades fall. “Everything has just fallen apart.”