Chapter 21 - Elma's Life and More Questions

Edited

Willow's Pov

The sheets were tangled around my legs when I woke up, the spots beside me empty. There was a distant humming sound and the smell of bacon surrounding the room. It was heavenly.. but I was curious.

Where is Xavier and Xander?

The last I remember we were coddled up, me in between them. I felt slightly suffocated but it wasn't a feeling I rejected; I welcomed it. They had a calming presence and I knew they would never intentionally harm me. Right?

I pushed it to the back of my mind. The boys were gone, which is fine, and food was now at the top of my list. I shouldn't have suspected the guys to stay home with me twenty-four seven, I mean, they had lives. They had friends, family, jobs-

Where did they work?

I rubbed my forehead in concentration, trying to remember if they told me. They never really mention work. They must have decent jobs with a house like this.. not to mention their cars and wardrobe.

Swiping my slightly greasy hair out of my face, I kicked the blankets around until they fluttered onto the floor. Doing an unladylike stretch and cracking my fingers, I finally stood. It was time to take the day head on! Maybe I could talk to Elma.

Sucking in a large breath, I blew it out before skipping towards the door, down the stairs, and rounded into the kitchen. It was as marvelous as before, except for Elma cooking eggs and bacon on the stove. That was new.

"Where are the guys?" I sat in one of the chairs next to the large island. I folded my hands in front of myself and waited for a reply.

"Business." It was a blunt answer, sounding strained. It wasn't like her usual voice and I took a moment to listen to her words again.

"Business? In what?"

"Ah-uh.. they run a small, almost military like, base in town." I could see her fingers turning white from how tightly she held the pan handle. There was a small scratching sound as she flipped the eggs and bacon, one I didn't think was normal.

"That's.. new. I haven't heard of anything like that before." It was true, I haven't never heard of anything like that before. I didn't know whether I should believe her or not. I'd play along then when the guys got back, ask them what they did. In private, of course.

"Yes, it's a new thing. They discussed it with the mayor and had meetings about it before you joined our little family." I could almost see the smile on her face, but she didn't turn around once to face me. I felt like she was hiding something; or maybe it was drilled into her mind to face the stove while cooking. It was the safe thing to do, after all.

"When will they be back?" I tapped my fingers against the countertop, looking at how dry my skin was becoming. I needed to moisturize..

"And where can I grab some moisturizer?"

"They should be back within a few hours, they're typically quick with their business. There should be some moisturizer in my purse, feel free to grab it."

Nodding, I watched as she pointed to a small, plain black purse perched on the chair at the other end of the island. Reaching over, I grasped the handle and pulled it to myself. It was quite heavy for a bag this size..