Jake Parker: Unexpected

Jake 

"Sup, Jake?" My friend, Peter greets.

"Nothing much." I shrug. I forcibly push my jacket inside this small locker. "Did you do the homework on the book?"

"Dude, I don't do homework. I got nerds to that for me." Peter says.

"That's harsh man."

"I'm a jock. I can do those things. Besides, I'll mess up those nerds faces if they ever try to rat me out." Peter says cockily.

Yup, you heard that right. We're jocks. We rule this school together. Those who are below us are scared of us. They let us cut in lunch lines, we get to have hot ladies begging us to date them and we can make those super smart geeks to do our homework.

They treat us like royalty. Every time we pass, they move out of our way. We have an easy life. But there is one, one guy that didn't treat us like that.

He never let's us cut in front of him. He doesn't care if we rule this school. He doesn't even look impress by us. In short, he doesn't care.

Instead of becoming angry at the dude, I admire him. He stands up for himself and doesn't let us or anybody to push him around. He's like in his own little world.

The guy is none other than Leo Valdez.

The dude is really scrawny and lanky. He has curly brown hair and brown eyes. He kind of looks like an elf with his small frame. He always has something busy in his hands like a screw or a piece of metal. He always creates cool inventions.

Peter, however, hates him. He keeps saying how disrespectful Leo is to us, jocks. He says that he should do everything we ask for. His really piss off at Leo. That's why he makes Leo's life, hell. I, for one, don't really care but I pretend to since we're jocks. I mean, isn't that what we're suppose to do?

I even want to get to know Leo better. He seems pretty cool and funny. He makes people laugh, even Peter but he tries to keep a straight face.

Key word: tries.

Probably one of the reasons why Peter hates him. I actually want to stand up for Leo but I'm afraid of what would other people think. I'm afraid about my social status. Yeah, I know, I'm a coward.

Sometimes I wish I have the courage to stand up to myself like Leo does. I want to know how to feel free and not pretend who I actually am.

The truth is, I don't really wanted to become a jock but my friends made me try out so now we're a bunch of jerks. They let popularity get to their heads. Me? Well, I just follow them around. I do what they do. I become what they've become. I don't really like it, though but I don't want to lose my friends. I'll be a loner and a loser. I can't stand that happening to me.

But, somehow, this makes me feel guilty. I have friends, yet I know they're only talking to me because we're popular whereas Leo have no friends, yet he's like by everybody (except Peter). I don't know how the dude survives without friends. Nerds have smart friends, emo people have emo friends, weirdos have at least one friend yet Leo, doesn't.

He's not a nerd. He's definitely not an emo (more like an elf). He's a little weird but not that much. He's different from all of us. Like he's a new species of somekind. I don't makes sense, do I?

"Ugh, I hate him." Peter mutters, glaring at someone.

I turned around to see Leo Valdez walking the hallway, with his usual grin. Speak of the devil. . .

I watch as he stop in front of his locker. When he opened it, thw first thing that caught my eye were the pictures.

It was a bunch of teenagers smiling with Leo in it. I saw Leo smile when he saw it. Who were those people?