Chapter Twenty

---------------------

Dedication: Ruinlands for the amazing banner! Thank you!

Recap:

"Okay, deal." he said, pulling back and thrusting his hand toward me.

Reaching out, I shook his hand.

"Best friends, no matter what?" I asked.

"No matter what." He smiled, before pulling me into another hug.

---------------------

"Have you killed her yet?"

"Nope."

"You want to though, don't you?"

"So badly."

"Stay calm, I'm on my way. I'm bringing food."

"You're the best."

"I know. See you soon."

Harvey hung up and I shove my phone back into my pocket and let out a sigh. We are doing last minute preparations for the carnival. Apparently, I missed the last two meetings of organising as Mia "forgot" to invite me.

I don't know if I should be angry or relieved, honestly. I got out of doing the job, but I am annoyed that she went out of her way to leave me out.

Tonight, the carnival is going live and everyone is running around as if the world is coming to an end. I have decided that physically helping set up the tents with the guys is better than putting up with Mia's whiny, nasally voice barking orders.

"Hey Grace, could you help with this?" Zach, one of our sub swimmers, called out.

I jog over and squat, before lifting up the tent pole. As a group, we angle it upwards so that the poles can be dug into the ground. They are heavier than I thought they were going to be.

After we managed to get each tent pole successfully into the ground, I step back and wipe my brow with the back of my hand. I am in need of some h20 and a decent feed. Harvey can't come fast enough.

"You're coming tonight, right?" Ryan asks me as he stroll over to where I am standing.

It is much more relaxed when Mia the Monster isn't around. I feel like I am a part of the guys. Maybe, even a part of the Elite group. Clearly, they weren't the problem. It is always about her.

"Of course," I reply.

Obviously I am going... I wouldn't spend all this time helping and not come see my work once the carnival is live, not that Mia has let me do much of the organising.

Ryan is one of the Elite members, however, not a swimmer. He is tall, cute and clearly a flirt. Any time he passed me at school he sends a wink or a smirk in my direction.

"I should rephrase that," he amends, a smirk dancing around his lips. "You're coming to the carnival, with me, right?"

"With you?"

"With me," he repeats.

"I'm going with Harvey," I explain, biting my lip to stop myself smiling.

He is trying to be smooth but instead of being caught under his spell, I find it funny.

"Ditch him," he shrugs.

"Thanks for the offer, but I have to pass," I say breezily.

"Okay," he lowers his voice a little, taking a step toward me. "At least save me a ride on the Ferris Wheel? I have a present for you, at the top."