“I was trying to make things good for us again, if you don't mind. Now stop asking me all these damn questions!” Michael exclaimed, maintaining his whisper.

Michael swung open the snack room door and walked back into the delivery room. Janet quickly followed, but not before grabbing a bag of chips on her way out.

When Michael reentered the delivery room, he took his spot on the bed.

“What's going on?” Mariah asked.

He shook his head, smiling. “We were just talking about throwing a party for Lizzie.”

Janet glared at Michael.

Liar.

“A party?” Mariah inquired, raising an eyebrow. “For?”

“Her birth. We can invite the family over so they can see her and stuff.”

She nodded slowly. “I like the idea. When do you wanna do it?”

“Probably at the end of the month so we'll have time to plan and stuff.” He explained. “Right, Janet?”

Janet looked up from her bag of chips.

Of course he drags me into this shit.

She faked a smile. “That's right.”

He and Mariah continued to talk about the party plans while Janet pretended to look through a magazine.

I'm gonna find out what you're up to...lying ass.

October 7th, 1999

“Morgan, what the hell!” Mariah exclaimed.

She was in the bed, Elizabeth in her arms and the twins at her feet, talking to her brother from prison. She was starting to regret answering the phone.

“They said I'm going back on trial-”

“I heard you the first time, I'm asking why. What did you do?” She said.

Morgan got agitated. “That's the thing! It's some bullshit. They're saying that they linked me to some random drug cartel in Mexico with some dude named El Chapo.”

Mariah face palmed. “Are you kidding me? What did you do when you were in Mexico?”

“It's not a what, more of a who and the answer to that is...I really don't know.”

Mariah groaned.

Morgan continued. “But I do know that I don't know nobody named El Chapo. I might do drugs, but I don't sell ‘em.”

“I'm gonna need you to not say that again. You and Alison need to leave that mess alone.” She said. “But what do you want me to do?”

“I need another lawyer and not that weak one you gave me last time. I want Johnnie Cochran.”

She raised an eyebrow. “You got some Johnnie Cochran money?”

“Look, I didn't do it. I'd tell you if I did. You gotta get me out of this.” Morgan pleaded.

Mariah sighed. “I'll handle it.”

“Thanks, love you.”

Yeah, whatever.

October 16th, 1999

Ring.

Ring.

“Michael, answer that phone, it's annoying me.” Diana demanded.

Michael giggled at her annoyance. He was down in between her legs doing something she’d made him a pro at, when she tilted his forehead up, interrupting.