Ch 4

{Edited}

I sit in the uncomfortable plastic chairs of the school, where I seem to spend most of my time, mind drifting away from what the teacher talks about. It was my last lesson for today, but my mind was set on what was to come after.

I was to start babysitting Cleo today so my mind was fixed on that. I was nervous, extremely nervous, yet, unbelievably excited.

"Miss Clark? What do you say?" My teacher, Mr Tyson asks.

"Uhm, I-I'm sorry, what was the question?" I say as my cheeks heat with embarrassment, about twenty set of eyes glaring at me.

"What is a light-year?" He asks in an annoyed voice, the smirk on his face though said he was satisfied with himself that he had caught me not listening.

"It is a measurement of distance which is used when declaring distance in space due to the universe's size." I answer.

"Yes, Miss Clark. Please, pay attention." He demands, devastation etched onto his wrinkly face as he realises that I still understand the topic. He continues to do what he was previously doing; teaching. While I do what I was doing; thinking about this afternoon. Although I remain excited my nerves kick in with each passing minute. Fifteen minutes later the bell rings, ending class. "Class dismissed. Miss Clark, I need to speak with you." Mr Tyson orders and I sigh, gathering my belongings.

I walk slowly to the front of the classroom before I stop, hand gripping the rough material of my strap. "Yes?" I ask to gain Mr Tyson's attention.

"Why were you so distracted today?" He asks.

"Erm, I have something really important to do this afternoon. I was just a bit nervous. My thoughts got the best of me, I'm sorry. Do you mind if I go though, I'm going to be late." He nods and I run out of the classroom into the parking lot.

Harry told me that he will send his car to pick me up from school so my eyes glance around the area in search of his car. I soon fall upon the vehicle and walk toward it, Tomas sitting in the driver's seat. "Hello Tomas," I greet buckling myself in.

"Hello Miss Cl-"

"Call me Narida." I interject.

"Ok, hello Nardia. Mr Styles ordered that we go to Cleo's day care, pick her up and go home. You will need to walk inside to get her too. Mr Styles rang ahead to explain what's happening." He informs me and I swallow hard as the nerves set in.

Soon, we pull up to a building filled with bright designs on the outside. Large letters set out in a rainbow design cover the top of the building. 'Day Care' it reads. Kids and parents fill the area as they all leave, smiling happily with one another as the kids explain their day, showing their cute artworks.

I crawl out of the car and start making my way toward the entrance. The area is filled with even more kids, fewer than what was seen outside, as well as teachers, smiling along with the children.

"Erm, hello." I say as I approach one of the teachers who sits at the tables that are clearly too small for her. "Hi," I say once again when she turns around. "Uhm, I'm looking for Cleo Styles?"

"Oh, you must be Nardia!" The teacher beams seeming a little relieved. "Mr Styles said you would be by today." She says. She seems a little too quirky for my liking. "Cleo." The lady calls as she looks over her shoulder. I look in the same direction and see a little girl packing up the thick pens she had set out. She folds the paper she was previously working on and gently puts it into her pink bag with Peppa Pig covering the front. She walks over to where we stand and then do I take in her appearance.