Chapter Twelve

I went back to the tree the next day. I didn't tell anyone about it and I intended not to. It was something private that I didn't want anyone to know. It was something that I wanted to keep to myself, and like I said before, I am.

My feet were now planted into the ground. They felt heavy when I walked. I was very aware with anything and everything around me. I still always keep my bag around my shoulder. I still went for coffee every morning. I didn't change that much. Though, I felt as a different person. I don't feel like the same Rocket as I was before.

My eyes were always open, as if that is what I was heading for. My eyes were as wide as they could be. I see the reactions other people are giving me. I see everything. I never knew what the buildings looked like until now. I never really noticed the old lady crossing the street until now. I didn't see the woman and the man fighting until now. I didn't see Mark and Pepper fully, I until now.

I crossed the street, my hands wrapped around the strap of my bag. I walked toward the couple, which they didn't see me. I pocked Pepper's shoulder, which made her jump in surprise. But, the look she gave, that face, was not Pepper.

"Hey Pepper!" I said a bit too cheerful. This reaction made her and Mark look at each other, like they didn't know how to react. It was like they just saw me for the first time.

"Hello...?" Pepper responded, questionably. Okay, now I was confused. It's like Pepper doesn't even know me, neither does Mark.

"Uh, do we know you?" Mark asked. Okay, now I definitely know that they have absolutely no idea who I am. Something is not right here.

"What do you mean 'do we know you'? Guys, it's me, Rocket! Remember, I'm the girl you were just with a few days ago! Not even! Pepper, I'm the one who gave you that Eiffel Tower picture! We met at the park! I was sketching and you came up and told me that you loved the picture of my butterfly! We are friends!" I exclaimed.

Mark and Pepper looked at each other, then walked away. I called after them but they were out in the sea of people in no time. Now it was starting to pour out here. I pulled my coat over my head and started heading to the tree.

Now I really wanted to know what was going on...