“Then why didn’t he try anything before?”  I asked.  “Why wait until he leaves for who knows how long?”

“That’s just him,” Kade said.  “I’ve been with him for a while, so I know how he thinks.”

“And how does he think?” I asked.

“He knows that something might happen to him one day,” he said.  “He and I’ve been in almost every situation imaginable and somehow we always manage to get out of it.  But now were not just raiding a Directrix camp.  We’re going to the heart of it, the main city.  He knows that there’s a greater possibility of something happening to him.”

“We don’t know that,” I said.  “He doesn’t need to think that.”

“Well, that’s him,” Kade said, leaning back against the seat. 

“Well, Peyton says she hasn’t noticed him that much,” I said. 

“I highly doubt that,” he said, laughing.  “You’ve only known them for a day.”

“Okay, then, tell me,” I said.  “What’s happened between them?”

“Nothing really,” he said.  “Peyton’s noticed him, that’s for sure, but not since recently.  She’s always liked him a little, I know that.”

“And how do you know that?” I asked.

He leaned close to me again.  “Because she used to dream about him,” he whispered. 

“And she told you she dreamed about him?” I asked.  “I don’t think she’d do that.”

“She didn’t have to tell me.  She talks in her sleep,” he said.

“And you’ve been with her when she’s slept?” I asked, feeling a little hurt.

Kade realized what I was asking.  “Not like that,” he said quickly.  “We’ve never had any…relations…like that.”

“Oh, never mind then,” I said, looking down as my blush spread across my face.  “Sorry.”

“It was before she’d gotten her own room and before we built the work room behind the house.  She used to sleep in the bedroom in the house, but it was also where we stored everything.  It was after we got back from one of our raids and I was putting everything up.  She was saying his name over and over again while she slept.”

“Oh,” I said.  “Well, I’m guessing she doesn’t know that.”

“Nope,” he said, looking back up at Xander.  “Neither of them does.”

Xander reached for his earpiece then and put turned back on.  He turned to look at us for a second. 

“We’re about thirty miles from the outside of the city.  This is as close as we should get.  I’m going to land here and we can rest before we have to leave in the morning,” he said.

“Okay,” Kade said.  “That’s probably a good idea.”

Kade made his way back toward the front with a wink at me.  They looked for a clearing in the trees for a few minutes and when they found one, Xander landed perfectly and the helicopter blades spun to a stop.  He unbuckled and stood up, opening the door and jumping out.  I opened up the side door and got out, too.

“So we’re going to stay here until sunrise?” I asked.

“That’s the plan,” Xander asked.  “You can sleep in the helicopter if you want to.  I’m just going to make a fire to keep warm.”

He gathered up a few pieces of wood that were lying around and started piling them up.  He took out a lighter from his pocket, lit some dry grass and put it under the sticks.  It started smoking for a second, and then a little flame came to life.