t w e n t y o n e

"You wanted to see me?" Max asks as he makes his way into Coach's office after hearing his name on the intercom... telling him to go to Coach's office.

Coach simply nods, pointing to the chair in front of him and reading something off of a piece of paper or something, Max doesn't care enough to ask what it's about.

Max sits in the chair and leans back, crossing his arms. And waiting.

Eventually Coach does finally put the paper down and he looks up. "I need you to go with me to the student council meeting today."

At first Max is completely okay with that, he doesn't really know why they have to go to a meeting but he figures it probably has something to do with the team.

Then it hits him.

Student council.

Barnes.

Fuck.

"W- why?" Max asks, unable to stop the scowl that forms in his face. He's been to student council meetings before. They're okay even though they are boring as fuck and Barnes is always there. Never missing a meeting like the overachiever he is.

He'd always kind of dreaded going to any of the meetings, but this time he has even more of a reason. Stupid Barnes.

"We need to talk to them about homecoming."

Student council literally completely plans the dance. That includes raising money and maybe talking to a few teachers about other financial things, but that's pretty much it. They come up with the theme and date and everything.

In fact, a lot of things that go on in the school are by student council.

However, Max forgot about homecoming. "What about homecoming are we talking about?"

Max already knows what they need to talk about. He just wants something to be different so he can find a loophole so he doesn't have to go.

Coach looks at Max like he's stupid. "The homecoming game and the homecoming dance? You've been to these meetings before. We've talked about this a million times. I even mentioned it yesterday..."

Max feels like a dumbass and pretends to suddenly remember something he knew the whole time. "Oh yeah! Yep... makes sense."

Coach slowly nods. "Right, so you'll meet me here after school?"

"Yeah."

Coach is still nodding and Max takes it as his cue to leave, and so he makes his way out of Coach's office, feeling like a complete dipshit.

Oh well, he can get through this.

Then Max gets an idea.

Just ignore him.

Hah! That's it! Kind of like Barnes pretended their first kiss never happened, Max can so do this. Barnes is an asshole dickface and Max is going to act like he isn't plaguing his thoughts as much as he actually is.

Mhm. This can't go wrong at all.

-

After all of his classes, Max eventually arrives at Coach's office, where Coach is waiting outside the door.