f i v e

Max was correct about Barnes seeming a little weird at the mall.

They have this strange unspoken agreement to meet in the office in the morning, (though they also have to walk Barnes' girlfriend to her class) and Max figures it'll probably be that way until he doesn't need Barnes anymore.

Not that Max needs him now, of course.

The first thing that Max notices is that Barnes doesn't step within a twelve inch radius of him, seeing as Max has already almost fallen down twice and Barnes barely moved. Half-assedly reaching out too late or even just kind of zoning out.

Then there is the fact that Barnes hasn't looked at him. Not once. They have been together for the whole of two minutes, on their way to art and Barnes has kept his gaze on the floor.

He knows this is because Barnes thinks he's gay.

And even though Max is definitely not gay, he is still getting more and more impatient.

Until finally, he blows up.

"Okay what the fuck is your problem, Barnes?!" He explodes in the middle of art. Miss Reeves isn't teaching because they're painting again - lions this time - and everyone else is chattering, so no one really heard him. Ah, and there's the other thing. Barnes hadn't offered to help him with his colors, like he did yesterday.

Barnes gives him a surprised look, "What?"

Max feels his eye twitch.

"I'm really not as stupid as you seem to think I am." He growls.

Barnes looks to know exactly what Max is getting at, and he winces."Uh..." he seems to really not want to talk about it.

Well tough shit, Max is pissed.

"Ever since you found out I'm gay, you've acted like I'm contagious or some shit!" Max is still half shouting-

Woah, what did he just say?

Wait...

Max's eyes widen, while Barnes just looks kind of freaked out about the whole exchange.

"Not that I am! I'm not gay you dipshit, it's an inside joke..." Max is slowly getting quieter, and Barnes raises his eyebrows.

"-But it still pisses me off!" (Though he doesn't really know why) "are you homophobic or some shit? It's the twenty first fucking century, get with the times, asshole."

Max mumbles that last bit, closing his eyes tightly, shaking his head, and opening them.

Barnes is just sitting there with-

Wait, is that a smirk?

Why the fuck is Barnes smirking?

"You think I'm homophobic?"

Max nods.

"And you're not gay?"

Max nods again.

"You just freaked out, spilled paint all over your pants, and got within two inches of my face to scream at me about homosexual discrimination... and you're not gay?"

Max's eyes widen as he realizes he's practically laying on the table.

And there is paint on his jeans.

And he is real fucking close to Barnes' face.

He jumps away from Barnes, and falls back on his chair as if Barnes is made of fire.

"I'm not gay!" Max squeaks, and for once he sees Barnes actually smiling - though mockingly - and then finally Barnes lets out a few laughs.

Max decides that - fuck this conversation, he'd rather paint lions.