Two

"I said, up! Wake up everyone! Don't lag behind others!" A shrill voice ran through my head.

Shrill, but soothing.

"Sweetie, time to wake up." Then I heard the voice of my mother.

Then realisation hit me; I was in a concentration camp. And I had to get up and work.

I rubbed my eyes open and saw my mother in view. She looked drained out. I'm sure I did too.

"Good morning." Mama smiled.

"There's nothing good about this morning, mama." I said before frowning and looking around my surroundings. Almost everybody was up

"Everybody please form a line! Fast!"

I looked at the source of sound - the same nazi boy. He wore a hat always, it was a part of his SS uniform. Oh how lovely he looked in that.
And it wasn't me only who gaped at him, every teenage girl was drooling on him.

"Mama I'll be in the front." I told my mother before rushed to the front of the line.

I was probably second or the third girl in line. In front of me were two women.

"Hello. May I come in front?" I asked them politely.

"Yes dear." The ladies smiled at me. They looked feeble and old. Their bones were poking out of their skins. They looked brutally malnourished.

The boy's eyes fell on me, being first in the line.
He stared at me with those crystal blue eyes.
And then he smiled.
He smiled. He smiled at me.

And it was the most beautiful thing ever. I wish I could click a photo and paste it in my heart forever.

I smiled back.

My smile must've looked the ugliest, haven't brushed, cleaned my mouth or even washed my face. I was living like a beggar.

"Everybody, hurry up! You know the consequences if you're late!" He yelled at everyone.

Everyone was almost lined up now as we began moving. We all were following this boy.

I looked around my surroundings. This was the filthiest place you'll ever go to. Boney people were working here and there.
Even few bags and some other stuff was lying everywhere. Shovels, axes machines and what not.

"You all will be doing an easy job today; less manwork. But it's going to be quite mentally unstable." The officer said as he led us through a corridor.

He pushed open the door and I almost barfed at the image in front of me. I wish I could lose my eyes so I didn't have to see this. The tears pooled in my eyes and I covered my mouth with my hands to try and control my sobs.

"You will be taking off the wedding rings off these dead bodies. These wedding rings are usually expensive and provide us with money to buy you all food. So this is for your own good. I will be standing by the corner watching you. Don't try anything funny." He instructed.

I hadn't even realised that he had walked away from me.

"Get started."

Few woman made their way into the dead bodies and started picking up their arms and pulling out the ring from their fingers.

"Denise. Y-You don't have to do this." My mother said touching my shoulder from behind.

"Mama this scene is so terrifying." I blurted out before sobbing.

"I know, dear. You can just walk around or just do something else." Mother said before pecking my forehead.

I saw my mother make her way into the bodies, gagging all the way. It must be hard for her too.

"I know it's terrifying." He said from behind me.

"It's brutal, even. So many dead bodies." He was right next to me now. I could almost feel our shoulders touching.

"Then why would you do this? Kill innocents?" I asked, my tone rising. I was angry. They were innocent people! And they all had to die just because a man thought suddenly that Jews are inferior? Hah.

"Don't forget I'm an officer. Mind your language." He growled.

I shivered and looked into his eyes. They were dark now, and his lips were formed into a straight line.

"Is that supposed to scare me? Because I'm not at all scared. Are you going to kill me like others? Then go ahead. Because I know one day I'll have to face that. Better now than late." I boldly said, with a smirk.
I knew I was crossing my limits. But I would do anything to insult these egoistic Nazi's.

"You better get to work before I do something, miss. I am short tempered and I am a bad person. If you talk to me like that there will be consequences." He said, his eyes not meeting my eyes.

I thought he was different from others, huh, looks can be deceiving.

"Then kill me now. I'll be glad to have died a bold death. I'm not scared of you, you know that? To hell with you and your stupid Anti Jew laws. Because they are irrelevant. And you know what i wish? Well hear me out! I want all of you Nazis to go die you hear me? Go. Die." I smiled victoriously.

After a few milli seconds I felt a sharp pain on my left cheek. I lost my balance and fell down, on my face.

"Oh..!" I gasped.

"Get away from me you...you.." he said, his face red. He was vulnerable and I knew it. He knew what I spoke was nothing but true.

Thank god my mother didn't see, but few others did. But they were too afraid to pick me up.

I shouldn't argue more. I'd actually get myself killed.

He walked away from me, before stopping in the corner. His back faced towards me.

What a coward... and totally not what I expected.
I expected him to be polite, I still can't believe he hit me. My left cheek still hurt. I picked myself up and got working in the dead bodies.

If I was going to do this daily, I better that used to this.

***^^

Hello my favourite people! So, how ya like the second chapter?
I know I said update every SUNDAY ONLY. But ok, screw that!

But seriously, next update Sunday only!

If you have any suggestions on questions feel free to PM.

-tamzx