Chapter 9 From Cold to Frostbite

Comenzar desde el principio

“It was about two weeks ago the first attack that is, just two blocks away from the Alaska Pacific University on University Dr. That time it was just one person attacked and left for dead. The police officer that found the victim at the scene said she was for the most part ripped apart limb for limb and blood was everywhere like a Kodiak bear attacked her.” Ah a bear attack that happens all the time up here in Alaska, in towns during the winder while food is in short supply. “Only this wasn't like any bear attack the police officer every came across. It was more like an extremely large wolf than a bear.” He stopped and shook his head then wiped off his brow with a handkerchief before he went on. “The marks on the body under closer inspection were much smaller, thinner that a bear would make and more violent that any bear ever would inflict.” He wiped off his forehead once again. Man this guy sure can sweat telling a story, that or he sure is nervous for some reason. “They brought the first body in to do an autopsy on and the next day it was gone before it could be done.” Can we say Area 51 Woo ooo Spooky.

He wasn't done telling us his story though yet. “Then two nights later during a full moon there was a game of football going on at the university's field and the two teems were attacked by a pack of the largest wolves we have ever seen in this area or any around. We lost seven to the attack on the team and thirteen spectators. They were all brought in for autopsies, and you can only guess what happened to all the bodies the next day.” he just shook his head a stunned look on his face. “I was there with the home team—my son was on the team, on the field—when the attack happened and was lucky to escape the attack. I watched as the whole thing went down and called it in to get a team together from the base to go after them, but we lost them in the hills outside of town even after shooting one.” He told us. “The one we shot still managed to get away somehow, we only found a large blood trail then nothing else.” He looked downtrodden.

“So, twenty one bodies killed and no evidence to show for it, and a pack of wolves roaming the streets that can't seem to be stopped by normal means? Is that what you are telling us?” Bavo shook his head in devastation. It was everything we have seen before with a rogue wolf pack covering up their kills from the humans so as to not have to go before a Supernatural Tribunal or a local Alpha Council. “Well, we know what is causing the problem here, but we will need you to sign a bunch of papers before we can start on this mission. First, Icka, please get a hold of our contact in the White House set up the paperwork from their end, for us.” Bavo unwrapped his flexi-vuescreen and started to unfold it so he could type on it. After a few minutes he held it out to the base commander to read—this was our standard eleven page document from the Commanded in Chief of the White House authorizing us to take over a case from the military and them to turn over any and all necessary Intel and aid we deem necessary from them—all that was needed was am electronic signature, and we could take over the case. Signed sealed and delivered we were off with directions of the university. It was an hour and a half drive even though they had just snow-blown the roads off, the snow was falling so hard it was filling in between the tall snow banks as fast as they cleared it away. It was only a fifteen minute drive on a clear day.

By the time we made it to the university we had a message back from our home office in reply to a question dealing with the local werewolf pack in the area. Viorel said it was the Timber-Wolf Pack here in Anchorage, Alaska. And they also were complaining about rogue wolf attacks on their people as well. They had lost four women as of late and one had that turned up pregnant. She was just a young inexperienced teen of all people er wolves, too young to know better. The Alpha was up in arms and looking for blood.

“OK. Everyone spread out look for any and all evidence you can find, and report back in about four hours at the front entrance to the college. Any questions? No, good go!” Bavo shouted. We each took off in different directions to scout the area. I headed to the rear of the college where we were told the most activity had happened. Out by the dumpsters I squatted down to check on what looked like blood and brain matter splatter up against the building. 'Icka can you come out back please, by the dumpsters. I need you sensitive nose to examine something for me.' I called out through our mind link. Before I could even stand back up to my full height and turn around she was standing there right behind me. “Oh!” I stumbled back a step. “You startled me girl.” I stated, she was so quiet. “Can you check that out and tell me if it is human or wolf please.” I stepped back so she could do her thing to the spot I was pointing at.