ı 13 ı Power of Recollection

Start from the beginning

I give his hand a tight squeeze, before tilting my head up to kiss him. I allow the warmth of his lips on mine to comfort me, further stabilizing my broken mind. As we break apart, I open my eyes and smile up at him. "I love you," I say.

He pauses for a moment, his eyes dazing into mine as if they're memorizing every fine detail of my face. "I love you too," he whispers, leaning down to kiss me again when suddenly our attention is turned to a muffled voice behind the closed door.

"Aww," the voice says, no doubt the voice of Joel Branson.

"I thought you said they weren't listening," I say, scowling at the door.

"I can't keep track of Joel anymore," James sighs, dragging a hand through his hair as he gets out of the bed. He opens the door, forcing Joel who had his ear pinned against the door to fall over face first on the hardwood floor.

"Ow," Joel mutters.

"Why is it that every time Blair and I have a moment, you suddenly show up?" James questions his brother.

"What can I say? I'm a third wheeler," he says slyly.

I scoff and shake my head. "Dinner!" Rebekah's cheery voice calls from downstairs.

"This should be good," Joel comments sarcastically at the Mikaelson's cooking skills.

I take James's hand as we walk down the stairs and into the dining room, taking a seat beside one another. Elijah sits across from me, placed beside Klaus who sits beside Cami. Hayley takes a seat beside me while Rebekah and Joel takes the end seat. 

"Alright. Now, before you ask, I did not compel anyone for anything. This is an honest made meal," Rebekah states. "It was us three that made it," she says, motioning to her, Klaus and Elijah.

"Now I'm intrigued," Joel snickers, causing Rebekah to scowl at him. 

"Bon appetite."

∆ ∆ ∆

The thing with having a dinner with Kol Mikaelson and Joel Branson, is that the conversation never stops. Whether it's bickering, teasing, bitter remarks or old story telling, the two of them just can't stop talking. I'm not complaining, as it offers little opportunity for me to speak which I don't mind at all. Frankly Elijah, James and I are the quiet ones, entertaining Theo and baby Hope for most of the time.

Now all our plates are empty, our stomaches full, the laughter soon dying out as the dinner comes to an end. "Thank you very much for dinner. It was lovely." I smile politely, sitting straighter in my chair.

Rebekah smiles in response. "Who would like some alcohol to top off this wonderful evening? Blair? I know it's been a long day for you," she jokes, sending me an innocent wink but I can't help but feel offended.

"What?" I ask, leaning my elbows on the table.

"Well I just thought after a long day, and after the little freak out you had at the market that you might want to have a drink," Rebekah speaks carefully, surprised by my tone. "As relaxing and enjoyable this dinner was, it was lacking in alcohol," she laughs forcefully, trying to cover up her mistake but I catch it.

"Is that what this is about? Is this some sort of charity dinner to get me to talk? Like I'm some sort of lost cause?" I scoff, looking around at everyone in bewilderment.

"We're just concerned for you, Blair. That's all," Elijah assures me.

"I appreciate your concern, all of you, but really I'm fine," I say more calmly.