Chapter 45 - Rift

Start from the beginning

"Sorry to spoil the reunion but can we hurry up! I'm not a Sand Wraith, I can't hold this forever!"

Mantis stumbled onto one knee, her hands struggling to hold the sheer weight of the air shield against the Truants. Hawkins willed his Fire Trait to help mend Hack's exhaustion a little quicker but the flash of Memoriam's reminder of the consequences forced him to focus.

Hack took a painstaking step forward but was stopped in his tracks by a speedy Tinker Mole diving headfirst into the fray. The ground seemed to meld with his fur as he disappeared right under Axis' watch like a world class swimmer.

The Fire Traited kept an eye on the battlefield near the sidelines, Cull's heating ability providing small heat markers to help them navigate the terrain without hurting the clever Crafter.

"Mantis! We need a tailwind now!"

Despite the situation, Hawkins stifled a laugh as Mantis gave Cull a rude gesture in reply. Still gasping for air, the Fire Traited dragged the half elf to her feet as she swatted him away.

"Don't tell me what to do, Cullian!"

Hawkins started getting ready to mediate the situation, gesturing to the Sand Wraith to manage the other side but Cull's expression changed from frustration to something else.

His Smoke Trait was drawn towards the heat emanating from the floor, the small pockets of amber rising and falling like the breath of a giant. Until his eyes latched onto Cull's grimoire. He was trying to use his Trait without getting angry.

Hawkins knew how easy it was for Fire Traited to get overwhelmed. Hells he had almost lost himself to the revelation about Wisp so Cull trying to stay calm was a new development for him. But it meant he was actively trying to get the plan to succeed. That was good enough for any Mediator to get behind.

"Just do it. We need to keep them together and hide where Gidget's scent is."

Mantis groaned, rolling her eyes as Gidget's first trench came into view of the Truants as they were immediately buffeted by a strong wind. The change in weather caused them to take a wary step back right into Gidget's trap.

Barnstormer's weight collapsed in on herself, her prosthetic arm had merged with her skin, shards sticking out like glass at its hammer formed at the base, collecting a series of root systems and deadly mushrooms. None of that aided in her grip.

"Oh, so you'll listen to him, huh?" Cull muttered, sending a blast of heat as a warning to the Tinker Mole waiting below.

Deadeye had been rendered completely blind, his eye sockets still burning as liquid oozed like the wick of a candle dripped precariously close to Gidget's fur, the Tinker Mole scuttling away before Cull triggered another blast of his Trait towards them. It would help Deadeye's ability but also overwhelm his lack of sight.

The intricate foundations began to topple down on them as they became caved in on both sides. Hawkins turned away at the sight of Barnstormer's mournful pleas being muffled by the windstorm as debris and rubble caved in on her. To think that was only a decoy attempt.

There was no time to sympathise with the Gearloose gang as Organa attempted to slither out and grasped for the Trait condensed rain. Mantis continued her barrage as her barriers stopped the Truants from heading towards them. The Tinker Moles worked in a frenzy to build the next few trenches but time was running out.

Rin remained by the duo's side, fed up with being left out of the plan as Hack hung back to keep an eye on Gizmo while Blaize remained with Reina. It took Gizmo a few moments to join the group but with his nephew now involved in the danger he kept a watchful eye. Each air barrier needed to be carefully lifted to allow the trenches to be filled.

The Night RiderOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara