the best things happen when you least expect them

Start bij het begin

"Zayn, this one is your bed," Julio says as he points out a bed that appears to be like the top of a bunk bed, however, the bottom bunk area is replaced with a desk. "Tu papí envio toda tu ropa y juguetes, and Maria's gonna help you unpack."

"How do I get up there?" Zayn asks as he notices there to be no ladder for his bed, and it seems that Julio notices at the same time.

Without a second thought, though, Julio pulls the boy's desk from underneath his bed and places it to be at the very front of it.

"Allí, now all you have to do is climb up on your desk and then you can use this part like a ladder," Julio says with a proud smile, however, before he can leave he notices just how unhappy the boy appears. "Your Mamí and Papí love you very much that's why you're here. It's going to be fun."

+

Zayn quickly learned he did not like La Masia.

Nothing against the facility because anyone could tell you that it is incredible, but the matter of the fact is Zayn is only five years old...how the hell is he supposed to know how to live on his own let alone like it? Luckily for him the home he was living in only had ten residents, and of the remaining nine– him being the tenth– they all found Zayn to be like a little brother. Unfortunately, though, once the "school season" started the people living at the school were hardly ever in their rooms. For them school started at five in the morning where they would do a group 5K, before having a quick break to shower and eat breakfast from 6:00 to 7:00. After that the remaining 240 students who didn't live on campus would arrive and the children would break off into their age groups/classes.

Zayn was part of the 6 to 7 year olds group which means his day "officially" starts with another 5K run alongside all his other mates. Then from 8:00 to 12:00 the children attend class which entails an hour of math, an hour of reading, an hour of writing, and an hour of alternating history and science depending on the day. Then for the next hour the boys had lunch time, but if they misbehaved during their morning lessons they only received half an hour for lunch because the first half hour was spent doing suicide runs outside on the field.

From 1:00 to 3:00 the boys would then have football practice where they did drills and practiced basic skills before being allotted an hour of free time. During this time most of the boys found a place to take a nap, however, for Zayn it's when he had to do all his homework. That is because from 5:00 to 7:00 they do scrimmage practices, then they do an hour of conditioning, before finally everyone gets to go home. For Zayn, though, his day still doesn't end. At 8:00 all the people that live there receive dinner, and at nine they go on a quick "daily cool down" two mile run. Even though by the time they're done with everything it's only around 9:30, Zayn's usually so tired that he's basically asleep while he's in the shower. On a number of occasions, the boy's sure some of the older lads have carried him back to bed, which he appreciates, but at the same time he just wants it to end.

As time goes on Zayn begins to adjust to the routine, however, as he adjusts he begins to loathe the sport he plays more and more. For his first two years there Yaser and Zayn's mother didn't bring the boy back because they were going to be "away on business" so "what was the point?" but eventually Zayn got Julio to convince them. So when Zayn was eight years old he was finally brought back "home" for the summer.

At first the boy was ecstatic because that meant no more 5:00 AM wake up calls, but soon enough he realized after being gone all this time that he no longer had any friends here. During his first few days of being back Zayn found himself running to the local football field where he would play by himself for a while before going home, but then one day the boy found a group of 7 other boys around his age playing there.