I couldn't do it.
I couldn't sit there, every second feeling like my sanity was vanishing. I tried to make the anger go away, I really did; I tried to think clearly, without venomous hatred pulsing through my veins.
The only calm thing throughout my entire brain was the thought of home. My parents. My life.
It brought a high of emotions; a warm feeling, the feeling of safety. But that high came crashing down, knowing that I hadn't been able to escape. Knowing that they were winning, that I couldn't do anything to protect myself. I didn't know if I ever could.
I sat straight up, glaring at the window. Nearly impossible. It was high, small and locked.
I didn't care.
I glanced behind me at the desk with the small stool, assuming it was the best I was going to get. I spent moments ravaging through every nook and cranny of the room, searching until I found some old, rusty paper clips in the desk.
I stopped as I felt a few tears streaming down my face. Escape was nearly hopeless, I unfortunately realized it full well. I'd hurt myself, be caught, and in turn, most likely be killed off by Alex or Blake. I froze at a realization.
I was dead either way.
I forced myself not to cry out as I began dragging the tiny yet heavy stool across the room, wincing every step of the way. Eventually I succeeded, though the only thing I was capable of was collapsing onto it, catching my breath and resting my ankle. It wasn't long before I forced myself back up, regardless of the pain; I didn't have that much time and I knew it.
Clutching the paper clips in my hand, I hesitantly clambered up onto the stool.  I realized at that exact moment, I had never been more thankful to have Adrianna Rowe as a best friend. She'd dragged me through every rebellious, mischievous plan she could think of and was the sole reason that I knew how to pick locks.
Or, at least, used to. It'd been a common routine that was now old and partially forgotten. I was fairly certain that I had probably been drunk at the time she had shown me, not helping the situation.
Even still, the memories brought me hope and motivation to keep going, even as I grew so frustrated I was tempted to throw the paper clips down. I worked as best as I could; avoiding the thought that anyone could step in and find me. Essentially, I avoided absolutely any thought that may have crossed my mind and distracted me from the present task.
I gaped down at the lock as I suddenly realized I had managed to open it. A hand flew to my mouth in shock, as well as preventing the noise of the small sob I let out. I stared at it for another moment before vigorously shaking my head; an open window wasn't enough to get me out of here.
I cringed as I realized that opening the window would most likely be the least of my problems. Slowly, I placed my hand on the latch and began to pull the window up, though it obviously hadn't been opened in ages. It was old, creaky and every movement sent a shrill squeak that sounded like a gunshot in my ears. It was probably midnight and I didn't assume that any of them were heavy sleepers.
I let out a sigh of relief as I managed to prop it open, waiting a moment until determining no one was going to storm through the door. Even still, I glanced back at it as I bit my lip. I forced the fears from my mind and looked back at the window, taking a deep breath. I pushed the screen out, clattering down on the ground. Sticking my head out, I glanced at the ground. It was about a six foot drop, yet I knew I wouldn't be able to control how I fell because of what a task it would be to simply climb out the window. I was going to hurt my ankle more. 
Bracing myself, I slowly hooked my better leg on the ledge, turning around to dangle it out the window. Wincing, I lifted my left leg and placed it on the edge as well, steadying myself by holding onto the stool. Breathing heavy, I managed to get both legs dangling from the window. Trying to move myself further down to the ground, my breathing hitched in my breath as I started to panic. Everything was relying on these sole moments. I thought I heard something down the hall, causing me to lose my grip, my hands slipping from the ledge. I couldn't help the shriek of pain as I landed on my ankle, immediately crashing onto the ground. Tears freely poured from my eyes as I clamped my hand over my mouth, moaning in pain as I gingerly ran a hand over my ankle. Sobbing and frightened, I looked around. I couldn't see anything. It was too dark, though I saw the outline of trees ahead of me, leading into the forest. I tried to move but all it caused was for me to sob out in pain, crying harder. I was nearly hyperventilating now, on the verge of a panic attack but I stopped myself; I was outside.
This could be it.
I used the side of the cabin to steadily climb back to my feet, cursing and wincing as I went along. I forced myself to take a deep breath, slowly beginning to limp towards the closest tree. Though it was only ten or fifteen feet away, I was out of breath by the time I reached it. I wrapped my arm around the thick trunk, trying to take the pressure off of my ankle. I closed my eyes, picturing everything that I had ever cared about in my life. I pictured getting it all back, and it kept me going. I heard my mother laughing and took another step. I saw my father smiling humbly and moved again. I saw my life and I didn't stop.
I realized that I must've been moving for at least thirty minutes because by the time I turned around, the cabin lights were in the distance. It gave me just enough reassurance to turn around and keep going, but I paused.
I heard shouting.
They were muffled and too far to hear, but it was a harsh, violently angry voice that I could only assume as Alex. I cringed as I heard a door whipping open, and I watched in horror as four figures began running from the cabin. I cowered back and covered my mouth before any small sob could escape, paralyzing fear taking over my body. They were coming.
I shut my eyes closed, mumbling reassurance in my mind. I'd made it this far. And hell, even if I didn't make it out of this forest, I'd never given in. I turned around and kept stumbling through the darkness, careful to take in my surroundings. I only made it for another ten minutes before I knew I had to rest my ankle. I wouldn't make it if I kept walking. It terrified me to stop, but it terrified me to think that I may have very well started screaming in pain.
I sat next to a tree, trying to calm my breathing when I nearly jumped out of my skin. There was a light ahead. I crouched down as low as possible, trembling as I recognized Blake holding onto the flashlight. I held my breath as I watched him walk around with the flashlight, though he wasn't pointing it my way and he was a good thirty feet away. It wasn't likely he'd see me.
I waited through the agonizingly long minutes of him searching until he began walking again, heading the opposite direction of me. I waited until I could hardly see his flashlight.
Shakily, I stood up and turned around, flinching in fear as I caught a glimpse of another flashlight.
He was standing directly in front of me.
I swore with the slightest breath, Alex would sense I was standing only a few feet behind him. I'd never sensed more immediate, harsh fear than as I looked at him. He had his back turned, waving his flashlight around slightly as he stood motionless.
Shaking violently, I began backing away, holding my breath. The danger of those moments were terrifying; any single slip, any fall, any sob would be heard and identified. I kept walking backwards at a slow pace, watching as he began walking forwards. We were walking in opposite directions. I closed my eyes for a moment, thankful as I continued backing away until I suddenly ran into something.
I knew immediately it wasn't a tree I had run into.
I covered my mouth to prevent the scream that left my lips, whirling around fearfully as I realized who was standing in front of me. My eyes widened as I stumbled back a step, deep devastation hitting me hard. It was Dominic.
I didn't bother hiding the tears that fell down my face as I looked up at him. I didn't bother hiding the shakes, my quivering lip.
This was it.
I lowered my eyes as I focused on avoiding the absolute breakdown that was only seconds away. I waited for him to snatch my arm, dragging me back to that cabin where Alex would create whatever torture he could before allowing Blake to kill me. There wouldn't be any hope. There wouldn't even be a prayer; there'd be the devastating loss of realizing I'd never go home. I wouldn't hear my mother laugh again, I wouldn't break any rules with Adrianna again.
I'd be killed and they wouldn't ever know what had even happened to me.
It brought so much pain that I forced myself to look up, demand why he wouldn't get it over with. He glared at me. He looked down at me with anger, harshness but I saw something I'd never recognized so clearly in his eyes. Such a look of being immensely conflicted. I locked eyes because I wasn't capable of doing anything else, I watched every emotion clearly flicker in his eyes. I watched them soften, only to harden a few moments later. He was so conflicted that I realized his lip was nearly quivering.
Abruptly, Dominic turned around. His back facing me, he began walking straight.
Walking away from me.
Still shaking violently, I gaped at him, eyes wide until it struck me.
He let me go.
I could hardly process the idea but once I did, I quickly turned around, hurrying away. He continued walking, never looking back; not calling out to Alex or Blake.
I didn't allow myself to consider what had just happened because I knew it'd overwhelm me. I only focused on the flashlights, carefully avoiding them. After hours, they began to fade. Hours after that, there wasn't a single flashlight visible and the sun was beginning to rise. It scared me to know that they wouldn't give up so easily.
I walked until my feet bled and the sun was visible, burning my eyes and making my head spin.
I lied down, passing out in a bush of complete exhaustion.