Heart's Desire

Mera had gone out to catch supper. Milk and Vidali were resting in the cave, stomachs rumbling, not speaking. They had been there for a week, pondering what to do next. Milk wanted to stay, Vidali wanted to leave.

At last the silence was broken by Vidali's voice.

"Milk, we can't stay here."

Milk had been lazily watching a butterfly fluttering above the field outside.

"Why not?"

"Because I need to get back to Medala and the others."

"Then you go. I'm staying."

The two sat there in the cave as the five kittens pranced around. Jackal, Dan, Dana, Danni, and Oliver were impossibly cute. Each had warmed up to both Vidali and Milk in the past week.

"How're you going to get back?" Milk inquired. "You can't go down those caves again, those things will rip you apart!"

Vidali paced around and around, like a clock. Milk could almost seem to hear the thought process going on within her head.

"I'll just go above the ground."

That seemed like a totally logical argument for her. She had no collar and no owner. Stray cats were ignored. She would very likely make it back. But Milk really didn't want her to go, the only friend he had left.

"Vidali," he began. "Vidali, where should I go?"

She began to leave the cave, then looked back.

"Where your heart desires," she said. Then, she turned and walked out, leaving Milk with five tiny kittens jumping about.