Life With Three Legs

At some point, Milk had fallen asleep, and he had not woken up for a long time, not until he heard a sinister voice of malice.

"Where is that cat! I can't wait to rip out her throat, man oh man, two wittle kitties, ripe and delicious, I CAN'T WAIT!"

"Shut up, Wiley," another voice hissed. "we need to be stealth-like, or they'll hear us!"

"I DON'T CA–RE! WITTLE WITTLE KITTIES, COME ON OUT, LET ME EAT YO–U!"

"Shut – Up!"

Milk was silent as their voices echoed throughout the tunnel. He was scared stiff. Those things, they truly were hungry for others of their kind.

"AHAHAHAHAHAHA! KEM, I'LL RIP YOUR THROAT OUT TOO IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP! I WILL, I WILL EAT YOU! I'VE ALREADY EATEN A PART OF YOUR EAR, AHAHAHAHAHA!"

"What the– Wiley, what the hell?! You're a complete lunatic!"

"CAN'T COMPLAIN, THE BOSS LOVES ME, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

The cat's laugh resonated for very long, until at last, their voices faded away, and Milk was left there, feeling more terrified than ever.

After what seemed like hours, Vidali returned, with her a small fish.

"Eat," she said.

Milk devoured the small mongrel. He was starving.

"So, how are you feeling? Is your leg fine?"

"It's all right. I'm still a bit shaky, though."

"That's to be expected, you're going to have to live like this for the rest of your life."

That statement sunk in, as if it were a stamp, making it official. Milk would have three legs, for the rest of his life.

"That's okay, though, I've got two friends who have three legs and they're doing just fine."

A thought came to Milk: He'd been taken to the vet by Melorie many of times before. Maybe, just maybe, if he came back, he could get a new leg. He decided against telling Vidali this, however. He didn't think she'd like the idea.

"So," she began. "Medala is determining your fate, at this moment."

"What?"

Vidali looked a little affronted. 

"Medala, our leader, is determining what will happen to you. You did, in fact, step upon our territory and risk my life by me having to save you from those cannibals. Many of us don't trust you."

Milk did not really know what to say. He was still confused by all of this.

"Vidali?"

"Hm?"

"I heard two of those, um, cannibals, walking around. You might want to be careful."

She looked at him, and, in Milk's surprise, grinned.

"Those assholes can't even touch me. How do you think I saved you?"