The Escape

It was so fast Milk hadn't had time to blink his eyes. The cannibal cat opened his grueling mouth, revealing sharp, yellow teeth, and bit deep into Vidaliʻs throat– no, her paw. She had moved it at the last moment. A terrible screech erupted from her. She squirmed, overpowering the thin cat, and made it on top of him. She used her uninjured paw and slashed across the catʻs face, blood spurting out. The cannibal let out an even worse screech than Vidali had, filling, Milk was sure, the entire Underground tunnel system. Vidali was off the cat, who was rolling over, sputtering words of utter insanity at Vidali and Milk.

"Letʻs go! The others are coming!"

It felt like Milk had not walked in over a century. With out his right hind leg, he seemed to be going a third of what he could run before. Vidali, however, even with her injured paw, was flying through the tunnels, making a right, a left, another left, a right...

Excited shouts could be heard from almost every other turn they passed.

"WITTLE WITTLE KITTIES, IʻM HERE! OH, I HAVENʻT HAD A DECENT MEAL IN SO LONG... ITʻLL BE SO VERY DELICIOUS! AHAHAHAHAHA!"

There had not been so much adrenaline pumping through Milkʻs veins ever in his life. His three legs were burning, the skin beneath his blood-crusted fur was covered in goose bumps, and every hurried step taken caused another sensation of unbearable pain, worse than the one before.

"Almost there!" Vidali shouted.

Yes, she was right. The glowing ferns were growing more and more multitudinous, and the air was becoming fresher. The aboveground was approaching. 

After seconds that felt like hours, full of exhaustion and terror, light could be seen filling the dark tunnel, blinding Milk. It was coming, coming, coming...

Milk ran out onto a patch of sharp grass, so unlike the entrance way he remembered, that large mound of dirt. He fell down, the blades irritating his fur, and rolled, down a hill, into a place heʻd never seen before.