Baby boy

~Bailey

Today's the day. The day when me, my son and my best friend take a cross-country road trip.

My long shaggy blonde haired, baby boy came running and giggling into my room.

"Mommy!" He laughed and jumped on my bed.

"Hey babe!" I smiled and lifted him up, so he rested on my hip.

"Are you ready to go on our long trip, with Auntie Jenna?" I ask tickling his belly and he laughs.

"Yes!" I kiss his cheek and ruffle his hair then set him down.

"Dad!" I yelled dragging my heavy suitcase out of my room. "Dad!" I half groaned-half yelled.

"What?" He yelled back.

"Help!" He comes up and grabs my suitcase.

"I can't believe you're going on a two month trip with my little guy." He says looking at Ottis.

"You'll be fine, and when we come back for the week before moving into our dorm you can have him. I'm sure I'll need a break." I laugh and Jenna burst through the doors.

"Who's ready for a road trip!" She throws her hands up and I laugh at her.

"I'm ready for the beach. So can we get going?" I whine and Ottis latches onto my dads leg.

"I'll miss you, Gampa." He says and my dad lifts him up and kisses his fluffy blonde mop.

"I'll miss you too, buddy. Be good for mommy and auntie Jenna." He says and squeezed him.

When my dad sat Ottis down he ran over to me. I lifted him up and groaned.

"You're getting so big, Ottis!" I played and he laughed.

" 'Cause I eat all my food, mommy!" He smiled and Jenna took him from me.

"Let's go!" She said and walked out the door with my child. I hugged my dad and kissed his cheek.

"I'll see you before you know it. Well Facetime and call all the time." I say and he hugs me tighter.

"Drive safe, I love you guys."

"We will, We love you too." I say and walk out to the RV. Jenna is driving first and I sit in the passenger seat I have Ottis at the table buckled up.

"Are you ready, guys?" Jenna says in a giddy tone.

"Yes!" Ottis and I cheer at the same time.

"Then let's go!"

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Four hours later...

"Otty, wake up babe. We're here." I gently shake my sons shoulders as his eyes flutter open.

"Mommy? We're here?" He asks groggy and I nod.

"Were at the beach, babe." I wink and he smiles.

"Can I swim?" He pleads with his eyes.

"Of course! That's what we're here for." I laugh and help him into his swim trunks.

"Mommy? Did you bring my board?" He asks and I nod. Knowing my little skateboarder would throw a tantrum if he didn't have his board.

"Yes! Let's go!" He cheers once Jenna and I have changed.

I carry his skateboard while Jenna holds his hand while we walk to the wooden path.

"Can I skate from here mommy?" He asks and I nod.

I put down his skateboard and Jenna and I each grab one of his hands as we gently pull him down the wooden pathway.

Once at the water I lay out our beach blanket and small umbrella so we don't get completely burned. God knows sunblock works for crap nowadays.

"Mommy! Let's swim!" Ottis pulls me from my sitting position.

"Okay, easy killer." I joke and he giggles while pulling on my hand.

"It's warm! Does that mean someone peed Mommy?" He whispered and I started laughing.

"No baby, it's cause we are in Florida and the water is always warm here. But still don't drink the water." I add more seriously and he nods.

We played at the beach for awhile then Ottis fell asleep under the umbrella, that's when we decided to call it a day.

Getting back to the RV we made burger patties for dinner and Jenna started talking about her 'Huge College plans'.

"So it's just going to be you and Ottis in a dorm?" She asks taking a bite from her burger. I nod.

"Yeah, I talked to the college and asked if that was allowed and they said it was perfectly fine and they also had a daycare center for him while I attend classes." She smiles.

"Do you ever think about Sam?" She asks randomly and I freeze. I haven't hardly thought about that name for nearly three years. I gave up on my sons father showing back up after Ottis turned one.

"Not really. I haven't wanted to for, four years. As much as I hate him he's always going to be Ottis's father. Well sperm donor cause I told him he lost the title of being his dad when he left the hospital that day." I say looking up at the darkening sky.

"I remember that day." Jenna smiles at nothing.

"I remember it vividly. From you falling over in pain in the middle of the hallway, to me grabbing Sam and dragging him to the bathroom so he could be there with you when you brought his kid into the world on the floor." She laughed and so did I.

"Oh yeah. Who would've thought I'd have my first kid in the bathroom on the floor at school. He's going to be so embarrassed when I tell his friends someday." I laugh and she does too.

"You know I'm really proud of you, Bailey. Raising Ottis, basically alone all through high school, graduating with your class, working, and dealing with baby daddy drama. Girl, I idolize you. You're literally the strongest person I know." She says and a tear forms in my eye.

"Oh, Jenna! That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me." I said sniffling.

"Oh girl, don't start or you'll make me cry!" She says hugging me.

"I love you, Jenna."

"I love you too, Bails."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Mommy?" Ottis asks as I tuck him in.

"Yes baby?" I ask.

"Where's my daddy? Don't I have one?" He asks and I kiss his forehead.
Damn you Sam.

"Of course baby, you have a daddy. He's just... occupied. But he loves you Ottis Shane. Just like Mommy loves you, auntie Jenna, grandpa, Grammy, and everyone loves you. He's just busy baby, someday, maybe you'll meet him and he won't be so busy anymore."