My right hand typed quickly, while the other one just sat on my bed.  This was why I couldn’t play the piano, or guitar, or any instrument.  I have very little control over my left hand.  In fact, I could pretty much call it useless.  I couldn’t even type with it.

Death Games

Why so serious?

Life goes on for us…

I wrote quickly, what seemed to be my darkest poem yet.  But also, in my opinion, my best.

The world goes dark,

The screen goes blank,

Congratulations,

You lost your game.

I know, a little creepy, but still, it made me feel better to write.  I saved the poem and checked my email and facebook, relieved when there were interesting messages and emails to distract me.  “Hey Lainey u wer cool last night at da party,” from Kaine, and “Hey! we should really hang out more,” from Hannah Cole, and “Hey, srry about last night.  I was smashed,” from James.

I sent one to two word replies like “Oh gosh” to Kaine, and “We should” to Hannah, and a simple “me 2” to James.

I know it may seem like I was taking my brother’s recent death really well, but I was used to grieving for a short amount of time, and then pushing all emotions to the back of my mind.  I was trying hard to keep breathing, to tell you the truth, but I tried to not think about it.

I went to the local news website to check on the wolf.  I was relieved when it said the wolf had been taken to one of those animal hospital places, and was now gone, as in missing.

I was glad that Jessica wasn’t losing her big brother, even if he wasn’t a great guy who deserved to live.  And I was also glad when I didn’t see him again.

For the next few weeks, I avoided any sad music, or even happy music, or sad movies, or people walking dogs, or anything that could remind me of the week I knew Kyle.  Eventually, Katie and I started packing up for college, moving boxes out of our houses, and into our dorm rooms.

The school was letting us move in a week before classes actually started so we could get the feel of dorms, meet our new roommates, and start learning how to get around campus.  There was an orientation at the end of that week and we were supposed to get all dressed up in Sunday best.

We were glad when we discovered that mine and Katie’s dorms were right down the hall from each other.  Gina Thomas, my roommate, wasn’t coming the first day, so I got a small room by myself for the first night.  I decided to sleep on the floor the first night, and not unpack anything, in case she wanted a certain half of the room.  Besides, what if Gina and I didn’t get along?  I could always try to switch and room with Katie.

I went over to Katie’s room to meet her roommate and help her get settled in.  Katie’s roomy was a sweet, yet creepily perky girl named Riley Hale.  She had a short bob cut, obviously died a honey blond with dark low-lights.  I decided to stay there a little late and so we called out for Chinese food and hung out, getting to know each other.

I grabbed my Ipod and speakers from my room and turned on the radio.  “So, Riley, what kind of music do you like?”

“Um, what do you have?”  She walked over and strolled through my song list.  “Hey, I love this song!”  Before I had time to ask, ‘Glad You Came’ by The Wanted came on and I smiled.

“I love these guys!  Their accents are just so hot!”

I laughed and nodded, since I couldn’t disagree with that.  “There are seven reasons to marry a British guy, and all of them are his accent.”

She laughed loudly.  “Yeah, that’s so true!  I dated a British guy in high school.  He moved in from the UK because his mom got some sort of fancy person job over here.”

We talked for a while about small things before we started actually trying to get to know her.  But after a bit we started asking about where she was from, and what she’s majoring in, and those sorts of things.

“You dating anyone,” Katie asked.

She nodded.  “Yeah.  His name’s Christian Carlson.  We’ve been together for a year and a half about.  I think he’s gonna propose soon, actually.”

“Awww!”  Katie and I always did that whenever someone brought up marriage and proposals and those sorts of things.  “Well, sorry if I sound like a priss or anything, but can you just not have him spend the night?  I’d hate to walk in on you guys…”  She was quiet for a moment, wriggling her eyebrows as if to say she meant that exactly how it sounded.

“Well, what about you guys?  You guys have boyfriends?”  After a second leaned in closer and added, “girlfriends?”

We looked at each other and burst into laughter.  I let Katie answer this, because I was laughing too hard to talk.  “No, we’re straight.  And um, neither of us is seeing anyone.”

She frowned.  “Oh, well, are you guys interested, because I know some guys who would love to meet you.  I mean, you are so pretty, they would just love me if I fixed either of you up with them.”

Katie smiled.  “Well, I just got out of a long term relationship I guess you could say, and so I’m not really ready for that yet, but Lainey, is totally available.”

I opened my mouth to yell at her for that and say I wasn’t interested when Riley spoke to her first.  “Oh, I’m sorry.  What happened?”

Katie frowned.  She hadn’t had to tell anyone before, and I never told her the story.  “Um, I was dating this guy, Lainey’s brother, in high school, and he had a run in with the law, and ran away, and cut off all communication with me.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry.  Don’t worry, you’ll find a better guy soon enough.”  Then, turning to me, she spoke, “So, you want to go out with one of my friends?  Let’s see, I think you and Caleb would be really cute together.”  I was about to say no thanks again, but she started doing something on her phone and then turned it around to show a picture of a really cute guy with light brown hair and blue eyes, just like when I imagined the perfect guy for me.  “Here’s a picture of him.”

I wanted to say yes, just so I could meet him, but started turning it down.  “Look, Riley, I don’t-“

“She’d love to.  Um, Lainey, can I talk to you outside?”  She said it in her tone of voice that meant that it wasn’t a question, and I really had no choice in the matter.

“Okay.”

I followed her outside the room and because there were so many people walking around the hallways, she whisper shouted at me instead of yelling.  “What are you doing?  That is the guy you’ve been describing your whole life!  If you don’t go out with him on at least one date, I will take of this necklace right now, and start hitting you with it.  You will go down in history as the first person ever killed by a copper chain.”

I frowned.  I might as well, to get her off my back about it.  “Fine.  But don’t think anything will come out of it.”  And with that I turned and walked back through the door.  “Sorry, Riley.  Um, yeah, I would love to go out with this Caleb.  When and where?”

[A/N:  Hey my amazing fans!  I really can't wait to see your ideas for the cover design contest thing.  And I'm over half way done!  :)  I really enjoy writing this story, and hope you guys enjoy reading.  I know where this is going, but I really need people to start entering into the cover contest!  I need a new character soon, and need my winner inspiration!]