Chapter Thirteen

The rest of the day passed by in a blur.  Nothing worth thinking about happened.  I made that maple syrup for our pancakes and then we went to work, and later, a movie and then went back to the house.  Of course, Kyle had followed us to the theater, and into the movie.  Which was a chick flick, so everyone thought he was gay.

                (Not that there’s anything wrong with Gays.  I love gay guys!  My best friends are gay!)

                We went back to Katie’s house and started talking about party plans.

                “So Mom and Dad are going out to dinner tomorrow, and then staying at a hotel.  They know people are coming over, and there might be a little alcohol, but since we’re mature adults, they’re okay, just as long as no one gets knocked up.”

                Of course they were.  The Goldmans were the kind of people who stepped back and let kids be irresponsible sometimes.  After all, if you don’t mess up, how are you supposed to learn?

                “Music?”

                “Remember Mikey?  Well he was thrilled about getting a chance to dj.  He’s putting together a playlist, and we’re borrowing speakers from Chris Long.  He’s coming over early to set them up.  And Josh and Kaine are coming over to move around furniture and decorate.”

                I nodded.  Mikey was an acquaintance in high school.  He had big music dreams, and dj-ed at a few parties every once in a while.  Chris was a cool rocker guy.  He was on the football time and he dated this quiet girl into art.

                Kaine and Josh were friends of Katie’s.  I would have liked them if I didn’t hate all guys.  But they were strong and funny, so I wouldn’t mind hanging out with them if I had to.

                “Food?”

                “Um, I ordered a fancy cake from Giana’s.  White and blue.  It’ll be awesome!  And we’ll have beer and stuff, but not too much.  And remember how my mom’s boss is into cooking?”  I nodded.  “Well she’s sending over a bunch of food, practically free.  I mean, just a few bucks!”

                “Fancy?”

                “Sort of.  Un-fancy food like pizza and chips decorated pretty.”

                “Decorations?”

                “Well I want it to be pretty plain, but in the main room, we’re gonna have streamers hanging on the ceiling and Chinese lanterns.  It’s gonna be awesome!”

                “Got it.  Am I forgetting anything?”

                “Um, we’re going to set up a fancy gift table.”  I smiled.  Katie wasn’t greedy, but when it came to birthday’s the most important part was presents.

                “So your parents aren’t going to know Luke was ever there?”

                She sighed.  “They don’t want me to ever see him again.  I’m going to have to ease them into the idea carefully.”

                “Well, It’s not like they can do anything to stop you from dating him.  You’re above the age of eighteen.”

                “Well, I still live at home, and I work for my dad.  And they’re paying my college tuition.”