"Exhaust?"

"You know it."

"Nice," I reply with an impressed nod.

Suddenly, deafening music blasts from the speakers and I let out a yelp, clapping my hands to my ears in alarm. Hayden quickly turns the volume down, sending me a sheepish look.

"This is the ultimate boy's car," I comment, my eyes scanning around the ute as he slowly reverses out of the driveway. "How did you score this?"

"It was my dad's," is all he said.

With the conclusive tone his voice holds, I feel I can't ask any more on the topic. I nod, continuing to gaze around the car. I have been so absorbed in checking out the car, I haven't felt any anxiety yet.

As soon as the wheels hit the bitumen road, he plants his foot, sending me lurching forward. The tires screech and the exhaust explodes with sound behind us. 

"Holy shit!" I exclaim, gripping the dashboard.

He has one hand lazily on the wheel, the other on the gear stick. He glances at me, a boyish smirk on his face. His eyes blazed as they locked with mine. I can tell he loves driving this car. 

He slows down at the intersection. This is the first time I feel like I was having fun being in a car. Ironically, driving fast and dangerously, seemed to rectify my anxiety.

"You're such a boy," I laugh as he tears from the intersection, the wheels screaming.

He grins and my lips part as I stare at him. His smile is beautiful. I simply cannot comprehend seeing Hayden beside me, so relaxed and carefree. It is a side to him that I didn't know he had.

He turned the music up the doors began to rattle and quake from the intensity of the sound.

It took us over ten minutes to get to my house because he couldn't hear me over the music. Every time I went to turn it down, he stopped me, shouting something about the driver always has the control over the stereo.

Eventually, I successfully gain control of the music and hastily lower the volume, afraid my eardrums are going to burst any second. 

"Turn left! Quick!"

He suddenly stomps on the break and the car literally slides around the corner. I fly sideways, hitting the door.

"Ow," I mutter, rubbing my arm, sending a glare in his direction. "Do you always drive like this?"

"It's the only way to drive," he smirks, clearly having way too much fun.

He pulls to an abrupt stop out the front of my house and I throw my hands out, so my face doesn't smash into the dashboard.

"Jesus!" I exclaim.

He let out a laugh and I freeze, dragging my eyes to him. He doubles over, slapping the wheel as he laughs louder.

Hayden Cameron is laughing. A shiver ran down my spine as I listen to him.

Why the hell did his smile and laugh make my insides melt? Why did it make me want to reach out and touch him? Why did it make me feel like I had feelings for him?

Maybe I'm just confused because the Coach pulled my heart from my chest and stomped on it today.

"That was so funny," he chokes out, his cheeks flushed. "Your face!"

"Shut up!" I retort hotly. "You drive like a maniac! How do you still have your license?"

"Skill."