21. Finishing the Marathon

Start from the beginning

'But, I want to learn how to fight. I can't... I'm not going to be able to keep anybody safe if all I have is the stamina and technique to run away from somebody.'

Half expecting Zarya to be angry at her ungratefulness, she peered up at the woman from under her hair.

Instead, the pink Russian bundle of muscle just sighed, but the bittersweet smile said it all.
'I knew this day would come, where my Little Bird would fly the nest.'

But rather than anger, Zarya pinched Sienna's cheek fondly, squeezing slightly like all her too-familiar aunts used to do until they both laughed.

'But' Zarya spoke again, unfinished with her words. 'I didn't think it would be so soon. A week! I'll admit, you learn fast! And, although you are not perfect yet, there is not much more I can teach you. The rest is practice. Many, many years of practice.'

Zarya paused, looking deeply into Sienna's eyes in thought.
'I can not teach you how to use weapons. Unless you're looking to use my gravity gun, I am sorry I will be no help, Little Bird.'

Zarya herself looked sad, but it was nothing compared to the horrendous sinking feeling in Sienna's heart.

'But' Zarya continued, with a sly look in her eyes, 'I'm not the only member of Overwatch here. I was planning to send you back to Soldier 76, Jack, when you had completed your training with me...'

Sienna's mentor paused, pushing a hand roughly through her short hair in a semi-embarrassed motion; something that Sienna had not seen before.

'But I guess I enjoyed your company enough that I didn't think about what was best for you.'

Not knowing how to respond to such heartfelt words from someone she admired so much, Sienna's eyes nearly welled up.

'Come. Join me on one last run, Little Bird. You must take some time to decide your weapons specialties, after all. Every member of Overwatch has their own skills and technique. Soon, you will too.'

Before Sienna could even comprehend a response, Zarya had taken off on the running path...

just like the first day of their training all over again - she thought, tensing her muscles and sprinting after her. Maybe there was some hope, after all.

//

With the sound of feet pounding the ground, and lungs struggling for air, Sienna and Zarya exploded through the last part of the forest. Sienna's face contorted as Zarya reached the end point a good few metres ahead of her, kicking up dust in front of her eyes in an accidental taunt.

Finally, with both of them grinning widely, sweat dripping and no hard feelings, Sienna took a well earned lie-down on the hard ground. Surprisingly this time, Zarya sat next to her; the woman rarely took breaks, and she didn't even look out of breath. If it weren't for the sweat covering her, Sienna wouldn't have guessed she'd exercised at all, let alone run 10km.

Sitting up, Sienna plucked up the courage to ask something that had been worrying her. 'Zarya... May I still come on runs with you? Even if I'm training with Jack?'

All the worry that Sienna had been sitting on was wiped away with one grin from Zarya and a hearty laugh.

'Of course you can, Little Bird! Besides, you're not good enough until you can beat me, so you had better keep coming!'

The Russian stood up, and Sienna took the notion to do the same.

'I'll miss you, Zarya.'

Sienna's face was suddenly being crushed into her mentor's chest, with a pair of knuckles rubbing against the top of her head, and she couldn't help but laugh along with Zarya.

'Don't be silly, Little Bird. I'm not going anywhere.'

Pulling out of the hug, Zarya took the opportunity to wrap her hand around Sienna's bicep, and there was a flash of surprise across her features.

'Jack had better look out, it seems as if Little Bird has become Little Bear, now' she said with a wink and patting Sienna's head before turning her back.

As if this wasn't their last session, Sienna watched as Zarya left to go her own way as was usual, with a melancholy feeling in her heart.

Sienna stood in the same dusty spot until Zarya was far from sight, until a surprise memory of Widowmaker's laser sight on her chest forced Sienna to steel her emotions and snap out of her haze.

'Next... weapons.'
And I'm not going to wait until I can hunt him down and stop him myself.