I heard movement from behind me, and I remembered that Naomi was still in here with me.  She had been sleeping so quietly that I had almost forgotten all about her, but now that she was awake, I realized she would be useful.

Not stopping my sawing for a single second, I beckoned her closer with my other hand, and in a hushed voice explained what I was doing. 

She caught on to the idea right away, and tiptoed off to look for another broken rock.  I didn't know how long I had been sawing for, but my arm felt like it was about to fall off.  I paused and wiped my sweaty forehead with my hand, wanting a glass of water more than anything in the world.

Naomi had found a good rock and was now sitting beside me, cutting away at the bar next to mine.  I had already managed to saw off the top part of my bar, and now I was working on the bottom part.  The good thing about this cell was that the bars wern't too close together, so we would only need to saw about three of them to be able to squeeze through.

I guess being deprived of all food besides a piece of bread for over two days did have it's benefits.

Feeling like I was about to pass out from exhaustion, I glanced over at Naomi to see how she was holding up.  To my surprise, she was hardly even sweating, and her eyes were dancing in excitement.

Feeling my eyes on her, she glanced up and smiled.  "You don't know how long I've been in here for.  Just the thought of getting out of here makes me so happy!"  She explained.  I felt so bad for her right then.  I had thought it had been bad, and I'd only been here for a couple of days.  Naomi probably couldn't even remember the last time she'd had a breath of fresh air.

That thought filled me with determination, and I sawed even harder.  I couldn't even imagine Naomi doing something to hurt somebody, and I knew she didn't deserve to be in here.

We had to escape- not just for me, but for Naomi.  I had to get us out of here.

Suddenly a loud clattering sound filled the cell.  Shocked, I looked at Naomi, who was gaping at the bar in horror.  The good news was that she had finally got the bar off.

The bad news was that it had just made a loud enough sound to wake anyone within a twenty mile radius.

Not even bothering to be quiet anymore, I desperately started pulling on the bar I had been sawing.  I was only about half way through, and we didn't have the time to wait for me to finish.  Naomi rushed over and yanked on the bar with me, and with our combined strength, we finally got it to bend just a little bit.  I didn't know if it would be enough room but...

We didn't have enough time.  I could already hear footsteps pounding close by, and I forced myself not to panic.  "You try first."  I commanded Naomi, trying to keep my voice level.  Naomi opened her mouth to argue, but I cut her off.  "We don't have enough time!  Just hurry!"

Obeying, she leaned forwards, and after a little struggle, managed to get herself through the hole we had created.  It was my turn.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped forward, sucking in my stomach as much as it would go.  I began to squeeze through, my eyes shut in concentration.  I didn't have much trouble (thank the lord for my high metabolism)  and I was almost through when I lost my footing, and fell.

Everything felt like it was in slow motion, as I fell towards the ground.  I hit the floor hard, and let out a scream as my leg scratched against the jagged bars we had cut.  Forcing myself to get up, I held back my sobs and gingerly pulled my leg the rest of the way through.

Naomi looked like she was trying to decide something, and she looked at me in uncertainty.  The footsteps were getting closer, and I could hear shouting.  Finally, she grabbed my arm, and pointed towards a closet that was on the right side of the hall.  I had seen the guards in there before, getting supplies and reloading their weapons.