Chapter 48

Hey hey hey!!  Yes, it has been two looong weeks, hasn't it?  I bet you all want to punch me for taking so long!  But hey, at least I'm uploading now :)  I hope you'll like this chapter!  It starts off kind of slow, but it picks up pretty quickly. 

Anyway....  The authors for this weeks are AngelChild101, countrygirl17, and darklovedoomed, so go check thier stories out!  Okay, I'll stop boring you to death, here's the chapter!

RECAP

Pushing those thoughts out of my head, I tried to focus on how happy I was to be back.  I couldn't deny that something felt wrong, but I tried to ignore it.

Hopefully by tomorrow the Boss would be back with us, safe and sound.

*******************************************************************************************************************

The next morning I woke up eager for any news on the Boss.  I threw my clothes on, scrubbed my teeth, and flew downstairs, where breakfast was already being served. 

Ignoring the delicious smell of bacon and sausage, I shoved my way through the groups of people standing around until I was standing directly in front of the bulletin board.  My face fell in disappointment though, when I realized that the only new information on there was the lunch menu.

I sulked my way through breakfeast, eating alone becuase none of my friends had gotten up yet.  For some odd reason, being back at the school made me feel even more trapped than I had when I was literally in a jail cell.  At least then I had known what was going on- I had been right in the middle of it.  How was I supposed to just come back to school, and pretend that none of that had happened?  I couldn't ignore the fact that the Boss was out there somewhere, waiting for help.

I know I was being ungrateful.  Just a day ago, I had wanted nothing more in the world than to be where I was now.  Deep down, I still knew that the School was where I belonged, and I was happy to see my friends again.  I just wished that I could know what was going on.

As if God himself had heard what I was thinking, the loud buzz of the intercom suddenly filled the cafeteria.  "Nikki Star, please report to Mrs. Middlebrook's office immediately."

Every head in the room shriveled around to look at me, and I felt like shrinking into my chair under their gazes.  I had never been shy before, but since everything that had been going on, I was suddenly the most talked-about person in school.

Curious as to why I had been called, I hopped up from my chair and made my way towards the office.  I had been called up to the office so many times lately, I think I could have found my way there blindfolded.

I had already figured that the reason they needed me had something to do with the Boss, but nothing could have prepared me for what I saw when I walked in.

Sitting in one of the chairs by the wall, his hands cuffed behind his back, was Tanner.  My mouth dropped so low it was practically on the ground, as I stared at him in shock.  "Tanner?"  I whispered, taking a few steps closer to make sure my eyes wern't deceiving me.

Now that I could see him up close, I realized how bad he looked.  He had a black eye, and a long cut across his cheek.  His tan skin was caked in dirt, and his hair was sticking in every direction.  It was his eyes that startled me most, though.  They looked tired, and filled with defeat.  No sparkle.  No mischievous twinkle. 

Someone cleared their throat behind me, and I jumped.  I hadn't realized I had been standing there gawking at him.  A blush rose up on my cheeks, and I coughed awkwardly.  I had already come up with a million senerios of what I would say and do when I saw Tanner again, and this definatly wasn't one of them.

For a couple seconds, nobody said anything, we all just stood there.  Finally, Agent Baxter spoke up from behind me.  "During the mission, our crew attempted to take some of the head leaders hostage, for information purposes.  They all managed to escape, except for this one."  She jerked her head towards Tanner, obvious dislike on her face.  Her voice was as calm and controlled as before, but I got the feeling that she didn't want Tanner here.

Tanner didn't give any indication that he had heard what she'd said.  He kept his eyes lowered, staring at a speck on the floor.  Seeing him like this was kind of freaking me out.  He looked so dull and lifeless.  Every trace of the old Tanner was gone. 

'What if he stays like this forever?'  An annoying voice whispered in my head.  I shook away that disturbing thought, and instead turned to him.  I had no idea what to say.  What is someone supposed to say at a time like that?  I'm sorry that your father is a psycho?  Is there any information you could tell us?  Why did you join your father in the first place?

"Those are some nice handcuffs you got there."  I stuttered.  Instatnly I wanted to slap myself.  I hadn't meant to say that!!  The words had just tumbled out of my mouth before I could realize what I was saying!  I must have sounded so stupid!

However, Tanner didn't say anything about it.  He didn't joke around, or look offended.  He didn't even crack a smile.  I groaned in frustration.  It was seriously like having a conversation with a mannequin.

Not even bothering to try again, I turned to Agent Baxter.  I raised one eyebrow, as if to ask, "What's up with him?"  But she just shrugged.  "Nicole, why don't you come out to the hallway for a second?"  She suggested.  I opened my mouth to correct her that my name wasn't Nicole, it was Nikki, but she cut me off with a cold glare.

I shuffled off behind her, and once we were in the hallway, she shut the door so that Tanner couldn't hear her.  "What's wrong with him?  Why isn't he talking?"  I spoke immediately.  She closed her eyes and rubbed her temples.  "I don't know."  She admitted.  "He's been like this since we found him.  I called you down here because I thought maybe you could get him to talk, but I guess this isn't working either."

For once, she actually looked like she had no clue what to do.  It was actually kind of wierd seeing her like this.  I had only met her yesteday, but I had been under the impression that she would have a plan for everything, like nothing could catch her off guard.  I guess I was wrong.

Still, I couldn't just give up on getting Tanner to talk, not when I had hardly even tried.  I owed it to Agent Baxter, for saving me.  I owed it to the Boss.  And for some reason, I felt like I owed it to Tanner.  True, it wasn't like he'd helped me escape.  He was helping the enemy, technically he WAS the enemy.  But seeing him sitting there, so defeated and lifeless, I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

I made up my mind and turned to Agent Baxter.  "Give me a second with him, I'll try again."  I said, trying to sound confident.  In reality, I was so nervous I was almost shaking.  Baxter seemed troubled.  "Are you sure you want to go in there alone?  I know his family, and they are very sneaky."

This had me rolling my eyes.  She really thought I was scared of Tanner?  The thought made me want to laugh.  I know he had betrayed us all, but I was positive that he'd never hurt me.  If I knew one thing about Tanner, that was the one thing I could be sure of.

She must have seen the determined look on my face, because she sighed.  "Just be careful, okay Nicole?  I don't want to have to go to the trouble of rescuing you a second time."  I laughed, and she cracked a small smile.  It disappeared so quickly that I wasn't sure if I had imagined it or not.

Without another word, she reached out and opened the door.  With my heart beating so loudly I was afraid it would pop out of my chest, I walked in to the room, as the door closed behind me.