Ch. 16 Too Fast

Riley's P.O.V

I blinked my eyes open to blinding white light. My head thumping and feeling a strange emptiness in my stomach. My hand was being squeezed. I turned my head to see Farkle holding it, looking down and muttering something to himself. He was crying. Hard.

"Hey, Farkle," I spoke.

He didn't look up. I frowned.

"FARKLE!" I tried again.

Nothing. I looked around the room. A doctor was staring right at me, while talking to Farkle's mom, but didn't seem to be acknowledging that I was awake.

"I'm afraid that if she doesn't wake up tomorrow, we'll have to pull the plug."

WHAT? PULL THE PLUG?!! I'M AWAKE!

"I'M AWAKE! I'M RIGHT HERE!" I shouted.

"It's been 2 months, and she isn't responding to any of the treatments." He continued.

I stood up and that's when it hit me. Because I stood up, and was standing...but there I am, on the bed. My hand still in Farkle's. What the....

"Doctor please, my son and her love each other and these friends are everything to her--"

"There's nothing I can do."

I watched Farkle close his eyes and that and all of a sudden break into tears.

"Oh...Finkle. I mean...Farkle. Look I'm sure that she'll be up before tomorrow." Maya soothed.

When did they become friends?

"It's time to face the facts...she's dead. I killed her." Farkle sniffed.

"No, Farkle you didn't. She got mixed up in the wrong business and you happened to be involved." His mom tried.

"Well...if she's really gone...I guess that I won't be needing this anymore."

Farkle held out a ring and I gasped. So did Maya and Lucas.

"Y-You were gonna propose?!" Maya choked.

"Yeah....yeah. I was. We wouldn't have to get married now but...I wanted to make sure that we'd stay together. I guess we can't stay together if she's in a hole in the ground." Farkle said, his voice cracking.

Farkle was gonna propose?!?!?!?! What would I have said?! I mean we haven't known each other for more than a year and we weren't even really a couple and we're so young and moved so fast and...and...

And I would've said yes anyway.

"Maybe you should...still do it. For closure. Like saying she's your fiance...wife...soulmate...thing even if she's d-dead." Maya breathed.

Farkle looked at her and then at my sleeping frame. Without any more words, he got down on one knee and I felt my eyes prickle with tears.

"Riley...I-I don't even know what to say. I guess I'd start with the fact I've always loved you but I haven't. I don't know when it happened or why it happened or how it happened...It just did. A-And no matter what I tell myself I'm glad it did. From that day at the movies...to immediately after--"

I giggled. Dirty minded little boy.

"Leading up to Alya...to us quote-on-quote 'breaking-up'...I loved you through all of it. A-And I don't know how I know. But I know that I want us to be together for as long as I live. And as long as you live. So i-if that's for only another day...I still want to be able to say that I asked you to be... That I want you to be... W-Will you be Mrs. Minkus? Will you marry me, Riley?"