Chapter Ten

I'm a little nervous about this chapter but here you go! Thank you for your patience.

***

**| Sang's POV |**

I was currently copying notes in Japanese class with Victor sitting next to me. The students were half asleep, not really paying attention. I think Victor and I were the only ones taking the class serious.

I loved languages, always have, always will. It was why I knew five languages, some self-taught like Sign Language and others taught by speaking informally with others like with French and Russian. I knew I wanted to go to Japan some day to learn more about their traditions and so Japanese was definitely the next best language to learn.

There was a quote I read a few years back that said "One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way." I couldn't remember who said it exactly, but that quote had stuck with me for a long time. It spurred on my need to learn more words, more languages. I felt trapped in my home and I didn't want to feel trapped forever. I wanted as many opportunities as possible opened to me and so I began learning different languages.

In class, we've already gone over all the greetings needed and now were learning about useful expressions like answers to basic questions.

The loudspeaker went off with a ding and female voice speaks. "Will you please send Sang Sorenson to the main office? Thank you." Another ding.

Students shifted in their seats, the noise surprising them out of whatever daydream they were in.

Victor and Sean were frowning at each other as I got up to my feet, grabbing my bag.

"Do you have your phone on you?" Victor asked.

I nodded and patted my chest where I kept my phone hidden.

Victor nodded and I waved at him as I headed towards the door. I sent Sean a comforting smile despite my heart beating a mile a minute. He watched me, frowning but didn't say anything.

Why was I called to the office? The last time I was there, Mr. Hendricks asked me to befriend the boys.

When I got to the office, Mr. Hendricks was already waiting for me. He motioned me to follow him and we went into his office where he closed the door before settling down behind his desk.

He settled his hands on the desk. Dark circles painted underneath his eyes, only accentuated by his brown-rimmed glasses. He usually had a friendly look face but today it was dark and serious, his bushy grey eyebrows furrowed together as he looked at me. He leaned back and ran a hand over his cleanly shaved head before releasing a sigh.

"So?" he asked.

I pressed my lips together as I dug through my memories for a reason to be called here but I drew up blank. I already had a note explaining the death in my family and I was caught up in all my work thanks to Kota.

"How are you doing? I heard about your mother. A real shame." His question was innocent but his eyes were watchful as he stared at my face.

"I'm doing okay. It's definitely different," I said in a low voice, wishing I could just up and leave. I would if I wasn't scared of repercussions.

He nodded. "Well, I'm glad you're doing good in school still. I was worried you would fall behind but it seems Dakota was kind enough to collect your homework for you?"

I nodded and he smiled. "Good. That's good. What have you learned about them?"

"Excuse me?"

"It's been nearly a month of school, though you did miss last week. That's plenty of time to figure out why they are here. And you sit with them every day at lunch now. You must know something."