Chapter 47

Lexa

The wind was whipping through our hair. The horses were getting spooked, but Astraeus held his ground. I made sure the natblidas ran inside safely before jumping off and handing the reins to one of my warriors. They jogged off with the horses and I entered the Ark with Octavia.

Inside, it was chaos. Guards were trying to get everyone inside, but it was obvious they'd leave some behind if necessary. People scrambled around, looking for a lost loved one. Many had questions—what was happening? When could they return to their daily lives? What would happen?

I spotted the natblidas, who were huddled in a corner somewhat away from the fuss. I ran over and spoke to Taliesin.

"Take your brothers and sisters back to your rooms. Stay together. Don't come out until I come in." I said to her. She nodded and grabbed onto Wyan and Novi, ushering them down the hall. The rest followed, with Aden and Easley taking up the rear. I watched until they disappeared from sight, and I prayed they made it back to their rooms in one piece. People were capable of anything when they were scared. I hoped they weren't capable of hurting the natblidas.

I looked around for Octavia. She was helping a young woman to her feet. She had been pushed over when a crowd had scrambled in. She gave her thanks and ran off.

"Where is Abby?" I asked her, keeping an eye on those around us. "Or Kane? Shouldn't they be giving their people answers?"

Octavia did the same. "I don't know where they are, but I don't think they could really give answers. We haven't experienced a storm like this." I felt her eyes latch back onto me and I turned my head to look at her. She was looking pointedly at me.

"You think I should speak on their behalf." I said.

She shrugged. "You don't need to do it on anyone's behalf. You're our leader."

My drifted back to the people again. She was right. Now was a good of time as any to establish that I was their Heda and would ultimately take responsibility for them. Guards were standing at the entrance of the Ark, blocking those trying to go back out for their loved ones from doing so. I walked over and walked past the guards. They watched but didn't seem to mind. I stood behind them and clasped my hands.

I took a deep breath. Addressing them like this was a risk. Some still didn't trust me, and would much rather have their leader whom they knew and trusted here to speak to them. I closed my eyes as they continued to yell and push against the guards. I needed Clarke here.

"Noumou!" I snapped. They glanced at me oddly and went back to shoving the guards. I realized I had spoken Tridgedasleng and that they wouldn't understand me. Clarke would've. "Silence!" I roared.

They all stopped in their tracks and waited for me to respond. I hadn't really thought of what I was going to say next. I wanted to slink back and crawl to Clarke's bed, snuggling in with her. But I know she would want me here. I found Octavia in the crowd. She smiled and nodded reassuringly.

"A winter storm is upon us. It's not safe to be outside. My warriors will search for the missing. In the meantime, report anyone who is lost. Stay in your rooms or in the dining hall." I said.

"Where's Kane?" Somebody impatiently yelled from the middle of the crowd.

"I'm not sure, but everyone will be fine. I've seen many of these storms in my lifetime and it will not touch us from inside here." I said. I knew my answer wouldn't do much to ease people's minds. They wanted the leaders they were familiar with.

They stared at me with angry stares, as if I killed Kane just so I could take responsibility through this mess and become the hero Skaikru needed. I swallowed back my nerves and held my ground. It never benefits one to run from responsibility. Still, where was Clarke when you needed her?