Chapter 1: Hello again

Start from the beginning

After work

"Yvonne honey !! Have you met the new n-" i yell as i come home. But she's talking we two strangers, well, not totally strangers...

"Oh Toby, glad you finally came back. Let me introduce you this is Jake Warmay and S-"

"Spencer Hastings" i say, in shock

"You know each other?" Yvonne asks me

"We were in humm, high school together" Spencer answers before me.

Why would she lie? Well, she did not lie but... arg what Am I saying? I would have probably say something like "she tutored me in french" so it's basically the same i guess. We don't have to make things complicated.

We exchange some polite words until Jake gets a call from someone. He goes outside for a sec. Meanwhile, Yvonne goes to the kitchen to get some wine.
After an awkward 30 sec silence i engage the conversation
"Soooo, why are you back? "
"Hum, just work stuff"
"You got promoted or something ? Cool"
"No actually, it's more of the opposite, they let me go, we couldn't afford our London place"
"Ohh crap, i'm so so-"
"Don't, please Toby don't"

Why was she being so... aggressive? I was just being polite. I just stopped talking after this

"I'm sorry it's just, it's weird"
"Spencer, we both moved on, it doesn't have to be weird between us" i sincerely say
"It's not that simple, there's always gonna be something there Toby"
I know what she's talking about, but i'm passed this. I just answer
" Maybe, but you don't have to feel it. We'll work this out i promise"

"What will work out?" A voice behind me asks
Yvonne.
"Oh humm, Spencer was just saying that they can't pay the full price in one time, they have to wait 3 weeks. "
" Yeah don't worry Mrs Hastings. Money isn't important we can wait a bit" she says as she kisses me.

I saw Spencer's look, well, actually i didn't because she looked away.

When Jake finally came back he told us that they had to leave. That they wanted to see the house more clearly. We let them go and turn on the TV. Yvonne falls asleep and I just lay there, thinking. It's funny how a second can change everything don't you think? How a look can destroy everything you have planned for the future. Destiny is weird.

Spencer's POV

"Omg it's great!!!!! *I yell and hug him* You're gonna get published? Really?!"
"Well, not really but, this guy online called me, he said he loved my book and would love to work with me on it. He knows editors and stuff"
"Great so great! I'm so happy for you Jake! You've been working on this for so long. Do you know who it is? Where does he work?"
"I think it's something Fitz. Or Fiwr or Fist. He lives in Rosewood actually.
I laugh a bit
"What's so funny ?" He asks, a big beautiful smile on his face
"Well, Ezra Fitz is like, my old english teacher and the last thing i know, one of my best friends exe's so, yep, i know this guy."

Then, he started talking and talking about the opportunities, the next book he could write and some other stuff. I receive a text while he talks to me, i just look
"Can we meet at the Brew, now? I need to talk it's killing me. Toby-"
"Hummm, Sure. Be there in 10. Is Yvonne with you"
"No, i'm alone. See you in ten"
I start smiling i don't even know why. Well, he was my best friend, it would be great if we could work things out like he said.

"Honey?" I ask "an old friend of mine heard that i just came home and wants to catch up like now 😂. Do you mind if-"
"Don't worry about me Spence, have fun. I'm pretty tired anyway"
"K, see you later then, i'll be back soon" i kiss him and grab my car keys.

The brew

I enter and see Toby at the bar, it's kind of late so there aren't lots of people here.
I order a drink and we start talking. He just explains me what happened to him for the last 3 years, i do the same.
"So, how did you meet Jake? " he asks

"Just work, you know, normal."

"Is it serious? " he says with a weird voice

"Kind of, we've been together for a while now. What about you? Are you two serious? She seem hum nice"
i struggle with the last 3 words for some reason. She really did seem nice, but i don't know, it came out that way.

"We've been engaged for 2 months now so yeah, i'll consider this as serious"

What? He's engaged ? So fast?
What am I saying, of course he is, they've been together for at least as long as me and Jake. Maybe he'll propose one of these days who knows ❤

"Wow, cheers! I'm really happy for you guys"
*awkward silence*

"Spencer? "
"Yes?"
"Listen, i know it's kind of weird but, i miss you"
"What? What do you me-"
" I miss my best friend."
"Oh right, me too actually, i miss you very much"
"Do you think we could like, start over? As best friend ?"
"I'd love to Toby, really" i smile and hug him (friend hug)
After the talk, i just came back home and layed next to my sleeping boyfriend, looking at the ceiling.

Toby's POV

After the talk, i went back home and Yvonne was still sleeping on the couch. I took her to our bedroom and layed next to her. I just looked at the ceiling.

Okay so, it's not a video so i can't make a parallel but imagine this scene with Toby's POV on one side and Spencer's on the other. So it's an image of Toby, looking at his ceiling, on his bed and an image of Spencer, on her bed, looking at her ceiling.

Both of them

"Maybe it can work. Maybe i'm truly over him/her and she/he is too. Maybe we can work as best friend again but sometimes i just wonder. What if? What would happen if Yvonne/Jake finds out about our past. It's pretty difficult but it's over right? Or maybe it's not..."