Shapeshifter story

It's not easy being the leader of a pack of shapeshifters. They rely on you for everything, and I mean everything!!  

My name is Alexandra, and my other form is a pure white mare. My pack is more of a herd as we share bodies and souls with a horse. All of us here had died once. Either suicide, murdered or in an accidental death. We have come back to the earth to serve a purpose. I have been sent back to the earth to protect the one I loved. He was the reason I'd hung myself, he was the reason I am what I am now! Sounds stupid I know! My second in command, William and Makayla, were both murdered by the same man. Third in command, Thea and Delos were in the same car crash when Delos tried to miss a dog running into the road! Forth in command were Sydney, Sammy, Harry, Jack and Luke. They had unique storys to how they got to be how they are, but that's another story. This is a quick look into my life of being a leader of the biggest herd of shapeshifters in history!  

"Alex! Makayla is being a bitch again!!" Sammy screamed from across the courtyard. We lived in a cottage far, far away from the public eye. This way I don't have to worry about scientists probing us. I was scanning the horizon when Sammy's piecing voice distrated me.  

"Sammy, Makayla has always been a bitch ... What exactly do you want me to do?" I felt like a parent! Not only did everyone in the herd count on me to make the decisions they expected me to rein in the bad behaving ones! She sighed, she knew there was nothing I could do. "Sorry Alex. I know you have alot if stress ... What with Oscar being ill again." trying to forget my worries I jumped onto my feet with a smile so sweet it could only kill.  

"I'll talk to Makayla yeah? See what's bugging her this time!" I hated  

talking to Makayla about personal stuff; me and her were the complete opposite to each other.  

I walked over to where she was sitting. Her long black hair completely covering her shoulders and face. Oh by the way our hair colour shows what colour horse we are, my hair was a pure white and almost reached the floor. Before I'd even got to her I knew something big was up.  

"Makayla?" She turned ready to lash out, seeing me though she withdrew.  

"What did I do now?" she asked in dismissal  

"Nothing, Sammy said you were beings bigger bitch than normal so ..." I hated this. As the leader you have to know everyone's deepest secrets. This way you know that they aren't hiding anything!  

"So you being the leader came to check it out! It's alright Alex I admit to being a evil cow bag to Sammy!"  

"Not really what I came for though is it?"  

She sighed, "You know the guy who killed me and William?" I nodded, encouraging her to continue.  

"Well I know where his next target is!"  

"Do you want me to get the herd ready?" surprisingly she started crying. I automatically embraced her in a tight hug and the soothing words came to me in seconds, I was used to this.  

"Tell me who the target is Makayla, you won't even have to see them if  

you don't want to!" She kept crying then caught her breath and said  

her answer in one big rush. "It's my sister!! I followed him to her and her boyfriend's house, oh Alex you got to stop him! Mum wouldn't be able to cope if Shantelle got  

killed as well!"  

"I will don't worry, he won't even touch her I promise!"  

Later that night five of us went out towards Makayla's sisters.  

Sticking to the shadows we waited for her killer to return. Sydney,  

Jack, Thea, Delos and I were sitting in a fir tree as silent as we  

could. The rest of the herd were making sure Makayla didn't intervene with the mission. After five hours of sitting and waiting our targets, target came home.  

Delos and Jack moved to the house roof to be lookouts while the girls and me moved silently around the house. Checking any nook and cranny for quick routes to and from the house.  

"All clear!" Sammy whispered from the patio. I looked around to make sure everyone was clear away, then I changed into my other form. The heat exploded through my body as my neck, nose and legs extended. I was quick at changing now. Took at least 4 seconds to change from human to horse. When the herd had first realised we could change it took 5 minutes at the most to get all the way through from horse to human. Some had trouble changing all the way. Sydney change only half way and had a horses head for 2 days before she figured it out.  

Right guys I'm going to check out the roads. Stay here and keep Shantelle and the boyfriend in your sights at all time! I thought to the rest of them. The best thing about being a shapshifter ... we could read each others thoughts as horses. But only the leader can send messages to the rest of the herd when human. They all nodded and resumed their positions around the house. I silently trotted across the grass to the trees and shrubs near the road side. Keeping out of site I watched the roadside for any sign of the murderer showing up. After 3 hours of sitting and waiting I felt Jack's mind enter the shapshifter world. Alex, can me and Sammy go further up? Check if he is coming?  

Remain where you are I'll go and have a look. He may not even-  

Just then Jack mental voice screamed at me ALEX HE'S IN THE HOUSE!! HE WAS HIDING IN THE HOUSE GET HERE QUICK.  

As soon as Jack had started screaming I was in full gallop towards the house. JACK, GET DELOS, SYDNEY AND SAMMY IN THERE NOW!! I'LL MEET YOU ROUND THE FRONT!! I swerved around a tree and jumped the hedge only to knock Jack over. Woah! Watch it Alex!! Delos, Sam and Syd are in the house. We just gotta wait!  

And boy did we wait.