Chapter 20 - The Plan

Start from the beginning

I smiled, realizing for the first time what a blessing my forced vacation was. On the other hand, I did have sobering news for him.

"Walker, you're absolutely right, but not everyone is ignorant to my involvement. Turns out Michael's half-sister has been under our noses this entire time. She's Rachel's best friend, and she definitely saw Blythe this weekend."

"You think she told Michael?" he queried.

"If she hasn't yet, Blythe seems certain that she will. Of course, Courtney knows that Blythe is travelling with me, so you can bet the Fitzgeralds will know of my involvement," I answered, my tone severe.

"Which means they can track your accounts, Luca." Walker echoed the thoughts already in my head.

"I have enough on me to handle cash only for a couple of days, but I have a contact at WITSEC that I trust completely, and she can set us up with a safe house. I just need you to make the call, Walker."

"Of course, Luca, but if they know that you're involved, you know they'll be tracing my calls, right?"

I groaned, but I knew he was right.

"Use a disposable cell, Walker. Natalie can play middle-man, okay?"

I stared across the terminal when I saw Blythe exit the restrooms and head my way. The smile on her face caused my heart rate to increase, and I smirked at her in return.

"Natalie Ruiz?" Walker questioned, and I chuckled at his sound of interest.

"Yes, Walker. That Natalie." Blythe reached my side and I smiled at her encouragingly. "I'm getting rid of this cell, too. I'll text you from my new one. You know the code word. Give that number to Natalie, and have her call me ASAP."

"You got it, man," Walker promised. "Take care, Luca."

"You, too, Zane."

I disconnected the call and met the curious golden-flecked gaze of Blythe.

"Who's Zane?" she asked warily.

I grinned. "That's Walker. He doesn't usually answer to his first name, but occasionally, I call him that just to get on his nerves." I didn't mention the only other time was when shit got real.

"Come on," I ordered, grabbing Blythe's hand and pulling her through the bus station.

"Where are we going?" she demanded once we stepped outside. It was time to board the bus, but our agenda had changed completely.

"A hotel," I informed her as I intertwined our fingers, ensuring I had a firm grip on her. "We can't board the bus, because Michael might be able to track us."

"Right," she muttered, suddenly matching me step for step. It was almost eleven by the time I spotted a twenty-four hour pharmacy. I'd never been to downtown Indianapolis, so I wasn't familiar with the area. I hoped to find some sort of hostel or cheap hotel that would take my cash, no questions asked.

After locating and purchasing a disposable cell phone, I removed the battery from mine, as well as the SIM card. I tossed the phone into a nearby trashcan and quickly texted Walker, letting him know my new number.

It seemed like we walked for almost an hour before I saw a run-down motel. It looked like it used to be a Motel 6 or Super 8 before it was taken over by some mom and pop set-up. Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as some of the "hourly" hotels I'd seen in New York during my career. This place at least looked a little more reputable, like they charged for an entire night as opposed to smaller increments of time.

I told Blythe to wait just outside the lobby, hoping that the desk clerk wouldn't see her. On the off chance anyone from the Fitzgerald crew was able to track us this far, it would be harder to verify our presence if the clerk only saw one of us.