"But you guys were happy. You made it work for two years," I argued. I couldn't believe she did that. When everything was going fine.

"It wasn't enough," she said and her breath caught.

"Are you alright, B?"

"Don't worry about me. I'm fine," she said, but I didn't believe her. And when I heard her sniffle I was done.

"Sit tight. I'll be right there," I said and picked up my car keys from my bedside table.

"Bring some food," she said, trying to laugh.

"You got that," I hung up.

****

We lay on our stomachs on her bed, watching shitty chick flicks and eating chocolate ice cream. When we were in the middle of a really cheesy scene, Brooke paused the movie and sat up, facing me.

"It's so boring," she complained.

"It's post-breakup therapy," I shrugged.

"I don't need therapy," she said. "I'm over it."

I knew she wasn't. She loved him. But it wouldn't be like Brooke not be tough.

"Why didn't you tell me you were feeling like this?" I sat up and wrapped my arms around my knees.

She crossed her legs and fiddled with her fingers on her lap.

"There was so much going on in your life with your mom and Evan and then Asher, I didn't want to bother you," she said.

I looked up at her, feeling like such a shitty friend.

"I'm sorry, Brooke," I said.

"It's no big deal," she waved it off.

"But you should have brought it up," I said.

"I didn't get a chance," she shrugged.

My face fell. I was so wound up in myself that I didn't notice what my best friend was going through. I couldn't be by her side in all this when she was be my side all this time.

Before I could apologize again she spoke up.

"Enough about me. You shouldn't even be here right now. You should be with your future baby daddy. I was doing better before you came anyway," she joked.

My jaw dropped. I grabbed a pillow and threw it at her, smacking her on the head.

"You're even worse than Asher," I grumbled.

"Aw! You're blushing," she cooed.

"Am not!" I buried my face in my palms and could feel it getting hotter.

She laughed and I smiled.

"Promise me you're gonna tell me what's going on with you from now on," I said.

"Alright. But you promise me the same. I still haven't forgiven you for hiding things from me," she said.

"I didn't hide anything," I said.

She narrowed her eyes. "Crush. Ashton. Ring a bell?"

I had hoped she would forget that.

I gave her a sheepish smile. She crossed her arms over her chest.

"What are you hiding?"

"Where did that come from?"

"The Ellie I know wouldn't make a big deal of something not working out in the future. She would rather enjoy the present. What are you not telling me?"