Chapter 11 - "Some times I wish your face would shut up."

Start from the beginning

Elliot scoffed.

"She's not that bad."

Milo gave her a patronizing look.

"I once saw her stare at a guy for a full three minutes after he asked if he could have her number. There are daggers with duller blades than Cece's stare."

Elliot made a face.

"Okay, so maybe she's not great with relationships."

Milo snorted.

"I've heard of fruit flies having longer lasting relationships than your sister, and they only live for three days."

"She just doesn't need a guy and is happy where she is."

Milo picked his book back up and started reading again.

"So you understand why I have never approached her on the subject," he said.

"But you're different," Elliot said.

"Yes, I've learned how to dodge her whip like wit and patch myself up after her cutting remarks."

"She likes you."

Milo scoffed.

"She has a remarkable way of showing it. I was under the impression it was verbal abuse, thank you for setting me straight."

"Then go and find someone else."

"Oh, that I could."

Elliot tossed her hands up.

"Why not?" she asked. "There are a million and one girls out there. A lot of them more sane than Cece."

Milo dropped his hand onto his stomach and looked at Elliot.

"You are suffering from the delusion that I enjoy being in love with your sister. I do not. If I could find someone else, I already would have." He picked up his book, a frown marring his features. "You don't like someone like Cece and then not. Everyone else in the world seems like a dead fish in comparison."

"What are you going to do then?"

"Die a battered old man."

Elliot gave him a mocking smile.

"It's good you're staying positive."

Milo huffed and continued to read.

"Speaking of failures," he said. "How has your week with Beck been going?"

"You mean the person I blame all my troubles on?"

"I thought that was donkeys?"

"Darn unyielding animals. No, they have relinquished their title. Beck now owns it."

"Glad to hear it's going well."

Elliot squinted into the sky, needing something to glare at.

"We've managed to stop fighting about the characters, but I'm not entirely sure we have made any head way in the story. So all in all, a splendid few days."

"What do you plan on doing?"

"Beside hiring a look alike and sending her to deal with Beck in my stead? Not a clue."

Elliot slapped the side of Milo's leg with the back of her hand and stood.

"Come on, let's go get something to eat," she said.

With a reluctant glare, Milo got up and tucked his book into his back pocket. They headed down the hill, the breeze alongside them.

"Where shall we go?" Milo asked.