Chapter Twelve

"Daddy? where are you going?" I ask innocently,

"Just out hunting", he winks, "you want something for dinner don't you?" he asks me wide eyed, I laugh as he picks me up and holds me over his head.He twirls in a circle before letting me down.

"I'm flying!" I scream as we spin. He laughs setting me down, the bright orange light of the rising sun casts long shadows on the walls of the house. He kneels down in front of me, his face serious.

"I got you something", he pulls a leather bag out from under the chair and hands it to me. It's heavy. "Don't open it yet, you'll know when", he winks and kisses my forehead. Avery awkwardly tries to run to dad. But he's just learning to walk. Dad stands up and hugs him.

"Goodbye guys. I love you all", he kisses my mother, "I will see you tonight for supper", he smiles walking out.

"Square?" Avery ask's me, wide eyed with his tiny little toddler voice. I smile at him. 

"Of course!" I grab his hand and we slowly make our way to the square.

"Be back for supper!" my mother calls from the kitchen, as the door shuts behind her.

"What are those?" he asks pointing to the lumps of melted metal which used to be the whipping posts and stockades.

"Those are from when the Capitol sent  really mean peacekeepers. He built things that were made to hurt people who didn't listen to the head peacekeeper." I tell him as we walk by. We pass Peeta's bakery. Avery stops to look at Peeta's cakes, the beautiful designs and colours. I've always love looking at them, this time we turn around and walk towards the shoe and clothing store. 

"Can we get one?" Avery asks. I shake my head.

"Sorry bud. They're too expensive." He looks at the ground then back up at the cakes. 

"I want that one. Can we get it next time?" He says pointing at a blue cake with an ocean scene. It has fish and, and sea flowers, and on the top it had beautiful waves. 

"They cost too much bud. But, I like that one too." I say taking his hand again. "I wonder where he got the inspiration for it." I say as we walk way. We walk around the hob for a few hours before getting some lunch. After we've finished eating I take him to the meadow and let him waddle around. We play in the meadow for hours waiting for dad to come back so that we could all walk back together. The sun starts to set and dad still hasn't come out of the forest. He must have gone home before we got here. 

"Cassandra?" Avery whines, "I'm tired! Can you carry me?" he looks up at me. I laugh and bend down, he jumps on my back. I start off at a sprint, spinning and jumping. He laughs and yells for me to stop. We gallop down the streets of the square back home. We burst through the door of the house, laughing and yelling. My mother looks at us disapointed,

"I thought you where your father" she says looking back at the table, as she finishes putting the plates out.

"He's not here yet?" I ask confused. "Well I'm sure he will be here soon." I smile putting Ave back on the floor. Two hours later the sky is completely dark, I've already made supper with she scraps from the fridge, and dad id still not home. 

*Two Years Later*

"Cassandra! get down here!" my mother screams, I get out of bed and walk downstairs, "what is this?" she screams, she points at the floor.

"I-I don't know" I say wide eyed. She walks over to me and back hands my face. I stumble backwards, almost falling.

"Don't talk back, and clean up this mess!" She grabs my hair and throws me on the floor. I see nothing. I just look up at her confused and scared. Suddenly my mom starts screaming something unintelligible at me. I quickly get up and grab my bow and arrows and run out the door. I run as quickly as I can to the meadow. I climb over the fence and into the forest. I sprint up the hill and run through the forest.