Chapter Two

I look in the mirror. I have a black, strapless dress, with matching flats. My mom even let me use some of her eye shadow, I use the mixture of beeswax, vegetable oil, and honey on my lips. I french braid my long brown hair back and pulled it over my shoulder. I look into the cracked mirror in my room when I'm done. My eyes hard. I walk down the stairs, and hear Avery gasp.

"Mom! Come quick there's a girl that looks like Cassandra but she actually looks like a girl!" He laughs. I run over to him and tackle him. I start tickling him relentlessly. He laughs and weakly tries to push me off him.

"Never mind!" he yells "She's back" I let him go, and sit at the table. He sits on my lap. We stay like that until the bells go off in the square. I walked beside him. Hand in hand until we get to the square. I kiss him on the forehead. "i brought home a special dinner" i smile, "i intend on sharing it with you" i wink, "and this time you can skin the rabbits" i pat his shoulder and walk away.

i stand with the rest of the 16 year olds.

"Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor."  I think to myself at the exact same time it's being said. I start to daydream when Diamond starts to lecture about how the Hunger Games started and how even though the Districts won against the capitol, they still lost. thinking about how good the rabbit stew will taste, when I hear the dreaded words.

"Ladies first" she smiles. She walks over to the girls reaping ball. As she does her heel almost breaks, she wobbles a bit and grabs the reaping ball, that almost falls too, Peeta and Haymitch run forward and grab her hand before her and the reaping ball can crash to the ground. I'm having a hard time trying to controlling my laughter, as she carries on just like nothing ever happened. Her face bright red. She clears her throat, and unfolds the paper in her hands. Something crosses her face, was it happiness? I don't have time to process it before she reads the name.

"Rose Mellark" she was standing beside me. I moved out of her way, so she could pass. i watched her walk up, every careful step. until she reaches the stage. Tears flowing down her face, she looks at her parents, and Haymitch. Peeta's eyes were tearing and Katniss was griping his hand for support. She stands looking into the crowd. I knew she was scared. Everyone knew she was scared. 

"Look at her isn't she beautiful?" Diamond almost sang, "looks just like her mother!" she chirpped. "Is there any volunteers?" she called out. I can't let her go through this. I look at her family, tears now steadily flowing down Peeta's face. I know what I have to do. I'm sorry Avery

"I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!" I scream.