Chapter Eighteen

There are bright flashing lights every where. I hear the crowd screaming. Do something! I scream at myself. I turn to the crowd, and blow a kiss. The crowd goes hysterical. We all walk onto the stage and sit down in our seats. 

"Wow, would you look at this year's tributes." Ceaser says with delight. "Aren't they all beautiful?" The crowd screams. "Okay, so lets welcome our first tribute from District One,
Nova Brenning!" The crowd cheers. The three minute interviews feel like three hours. I have no interest in listening to what the have to say. Time ticks by slowly until I hear Emmit's name called. I smile and watch him confidently walk to his place beside Ceaser. 

"Well aren't you a handsome young man." Ceaser laughs as he shakes Emmit's hand. They both sit down. "So." Ceaser say's folding his hands in his lap. "How is your mom handling this?" He asks. Suddenly Emmit's face goes pale. 

"She's fine. She was pretty upset. But who's mom wouldn't be?" He laughs. Who's his mom and why is she so important? I think to myself. 

"Well, I wish her my best." He says solemnly. "On a brighter topic," He says perking up, "We've all seen the footage from training." He nudges Emmit, "Do I sense a budding relationship?" Emmit looks like he's just been hit by a train.

"Well. I wish it could work out like that but sadly we're in The Hunger Games. There's no way either of us would put ourselves into that kind of position." He looks down at his hands. My face instantly goes red. I'm shocked. I feel like I can't breathe. 

"Well that certainly does make things a bit more difficult. My advice, just make the most out of the time you have left with her." Emmit smiles. I hear Jasper sigh from beside me. "So what's your strategy to win the games?" Ceaser asks.

"I don't have one." Emmit say's bluntly. The crowd gasps. It's almost as if I can feel all of Panem gasping at the same time. 

"What?" Ceaser asks in disbelief.

"I don't have a plan to survive. I know I'm not going to survive. I'm focused on protecting my allies. I want to help people survive. Being an ally means that you have created a friend. No matter what anyone else say's if you have created a relationship strong enough to trust them with your life, than that's a friendship." He say's. "I don't want to be put in the position to kill one of my friends. I would do anything to protect the people I care about, and if that means giving up my tomorrow for their today, then so be it." I feel my eyes tear up. Don't cry. Don't you dare cry. I think to myself. Ceaser looks away from Emmit and the cameras, and he takes a deep breath. From all different places in the crowd I hear sobs and people calling out for him to win. I shake my head. Why would he do this? 

"Wow." Ceaser says with a weak voice. "I would have loved to have a friend like you." He takes another deep breath. "What made you feel like this? Why would you choose to save other peoples lives over your own?" He asks. 

"My mom taught me that if I always put myself before anyone else than what is my life worth? My life is no more valuable than anyone else's. So I chose to help people. I know that no matter how hard I try I will not survive the Hunger Games. So I'm focused on helping my friends get a little closer to surviving." He say's. My stomach flutters. 

"Why don't you say win?" Ceaser asks confused. "You say survive the Games. Why?"

"Because there are no winners. There are the people who lost and the people who survive." He looks down at his hands again. "Mom. I want you to know that I love you." He says directly into the camera. Ceaser stiffles a sob and takes a deep breath. 

"Well. I'm sure she loves you too. You are very wise." He looks over to the timer, 30 seconds left. "I wish you the best in the games." He takes Emmit by the hand and stands up. "Ladies and gentlemen our male Tribute from District Four! Emmit!" The crowd goes insane. "Alright, alright settle down everyone." Ceaser say's. "Please everyone quiet down!" He yells. The crowd slowly starts to quiet down. I wonder who his mom is. Why does it matter so much? It feels like forever before they call up Jasper. It was easy for me to ignore everyone. I briefly listened in when Ky, and Sadie went up but it was nothing important. Nothing useful, just them crying about being in the games and about their families back home. Jasper looks at me briefly before he goes up. I smile at him as he jumps down from his chair and confidently walks up to the stage. Jasper waves as the crowd cheers.