Chapter 7 ~ Almost There

My heart is beating.
Fast and slow.
I told you I'm not dying.
But you already know.
- Rin Omoi

~ Just two more days...

"She is stable now Mrs Akatsuki" A gentle voice rang out.

"Oh thank god" Another voice sobbed "Thank god"

"She seems to have overdosed on her medication, the only choice we had was to pump her stomach which we were quite worried about" The gentle voice explained "We thought she wouldn't be able to handle it but clearly we were wrong"

"She has always been a fighter" Someone sniffled "She's okay now, right?"

"Ah about that, we should step out of the room to talk about that Mrs Akatsuki"

My eyes fluttered open as the sliding door closed with a soft click. The oxegyn mask on my face shifted as I sat up, the strong, familiar smell of various chemicals invaded my sense of smell.

I'm back?

Did yesterday never happen?

Well clearly it did if they had to pump my stomach.

I cringed at the thought of the procedure.

"What the hell were you thinking?" A furious voice spat out from the door "Trying to run away then almost killing yourself? Do you hate us that much?"

I turned away from my brother as he sat down next to me.

"Do you hate life that much?" He asked me in a softer tone "Do you know how much it hurt when mom called saying you ran away and then suddenly the hospital calls saying you were brought back here in critical condition?"

"Sorry" Was all I managed as tears gathered in my eyes.

"You were lucky that friend of yours was there with you" He said as he held one of my hands in his "Otherwise you would have died in that hotel room"

"Mmhmm"

I bit the inside of my cheek, my hair shielding my face.

"Pardon me" Another voice called out "Your mother and the doctor would like to see you outside Mr Akatsuki"

My brother squeezed my hand before leaving me again.

Like everyone has done.

"So homework is relatively easy" The new voice spoke as the russling of papers was heard.

"You put a tracking device on my phone" I laughed as large tears rolled down my cheek slowly, still not looking away from the window "You actually did that"

"So?" He responded clicking his pen "Where should we star-"

"Mikasa!" Another new voice invaded the room "Why are you back here?!"

"Kyoko" I wiped the tears from my face and finally turned around "It's been a while"

"Yes, a whole twenty something hours" She scoffed sarcastically.

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit Kyoko" I moved the hair from my face "I thought you would know that"

"As much as I want to give a smart remark to that, the doctor would like to speak to me" She stepped out of the room "You never told me you had a boyfriend Mikasa..."

Her head popped back into the room.

"Congratulations you two" The door closed behind her.

"I have a boyfriend?" I repeated looking at Kyoya "Did I find a physical, real male boyfriend?"

"Well, not exactly" Kyoya coughed "They wouldn't let me visit you because it was strictly family only"

"Did you tell them you were the infamous Kyoya Ootori?"

"Oh believe me, I pulled that card out numerous times" He lifted his glasses "I had to resort to telling them that I was your boyfriend, hope that was okay"

"I guess it is" An awkward silence followed after that comment "You know that musical Haruhi was talking about, where she had that kiss with the tall lesbian?"

Kyoya gave me another one of his looks.

"Would I be able to have a copy of that show?" I asked him thoughtfully "I would like to see Tamaki being chased by Haruhi's father"

"I can get you one" Kyoya smirked "For absolutely free"

"No!" I gasped exaggerating "What have I done to deserve such hospitality?"

We both laughed.

"Isn't the host club on today?" I asked him as he nodded "What are you doing here then?! Haruhi needs your help, Tamaki is worthless!"

"Are you sure? I can sta-"

"Absolutely not!" I slapped his arm off my bed and pointed towards the door "Haruhi's safety and sanity is much more important than my health, go immediately!"

"I'll visit you tomorrow then" He gave in as he picked up his bag and stood up.

"I have plenty of time!" I forced another smile.

He began to walk very, very slowly towards the door.

"Kyoya Ootori I swear if you aren't out of this room in three seconds I will personally leave this bed, grab you by your collar and forcefully shove you out this window"

He scoffed.

"No you won't"

"True, but I'll tell the doctors to not let you in next time"

He left quite quickly after that.

And once again suddenly I was alone, the beeping of the heart monitor my only companion.

But it was okay, after all I was used to it.

I was used it.

...

The words sounded foreign on my tongue.

Heck the phrase felt like a strange language I had yet to learn.

I was used to being alone.

So why did it feel empty?

Before I could fall deeper into my thoughts, I was forced back into reality by a violent cry which seemed to include a screaming, sobbing and choking the same time.

"Mother! Please don't cry!" Another cracked voice yelled "Please don't! She'll hear you!"

My brother?

And my mother?

Why wouldn't they want me to hear?

As it clicked, my mind became blank.

Everything became distorted.

My stomach sunk.

And my heartbeat slowed.

Time really just wasn't on my side was it?

~ Planning on finishing in one or two chapters, expect the next chapter in a week or less.

Thank you so much for reading and please leave a comment!

And thoughts on the new cover???

~ Rin Omoi