Sub-Chapter 14: Bots Like Us

Start from the beginning

“Forget this stupid trial, Pete’s not going to end up in some hospital for a week,” I shot back angrily.

“Could you please give the guy a chance to fight his own battle,” Uriah replied. “Pete’s a smart resourceful kid, give him a chance to prove it.”

I ignored his words as I stared at the screen. After Sai and Beth my mind just didn’t register the same anymore. I was just finally realizing that we were kids thrust into adult situations. We weren’t kids who trained for this for years, we weren’t even adults who have lived a long enough life to gain that experience. We were just regular kids a month and a half ago, and now here we were fighting some of the nasty beast in existence and the complete absurdity of it was finally sinking in.

URHG! URHG! Pete choked trying to speak as life slowly started to drain from his mouth. I couldn’t take it anymore. I analyzed Luke’s wormhole technique until I had it down but no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get it. I need to get to Pete and fast.

“Screw this,” I replied grabbing the medallion around my neck. “This thing is a wormhole jumper, right.”

Uriah shook his head disapprovingly.

“Yeah,” he replied relenting.

I grabbed the medallion. I really didn’t know how to use the thing to get to Pete but I couldn’t watch anymore.

“Tim, wait,” Uriah replied stopping me.

“No, I can’t watch anymore,” I shot back angrily. “I’m not watching another one of my friends end up in a hospital once again because of my decision.”

“No, look!” he replied pointing at the screen.

BLAM! Just as I was about to disappear a light appeared erupting like a fire cracker-like lightning strike sending Pete and Aeneas in opposite directions.

UGH! Pete groaned rolling over in a heap. The explosion seemed to only negatively affect Aeneas. I let go of my medallion and leaned in to get a better look. What had happened?

“Pete, are you okay?” Uriah replied.

Pete nodded scraping himself off the ground.

“Yeah, but that guy, I can’t fight him. His body emits some type of neural toxin. I’m useless when he’s close to me,” he replied. “At least until I can breakdown the subatomic make up of his attack, I got to keep my distance or I’m done.”

I looked at Uriah puzzled in my demeanor.

“Pete, what happened?” I replied in suspense. “How did you get lose?”

Pete banged his palm on the side of his temple in an attempt to clear the cobb-webs.

“I didn’t,” he replied surprising us both. “I thought one of you guys intervened.”

“No, we didn’t do anything,” I replied. “He was holding you then an explosion of lightning separated the two of you. You’re telling me that wasn’t you.”

He surveyed the layout as if to be looking for someone else before responding.

“No, I don’t know what that was but…” he rose and leaped away giving himself some distance as Aeneas started to come through. “I’m not complaining.”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out his bag of capsule pills. He rummaged through the pouch before pulling out a shiny gold capsule with a red label that read DOVER.

“This should even the odds a little,” he replied tossing the capsule on the ground.

POOF! It exploded revealing a robot with red and black paint. It was the exact bot I saw Pete working on the day before. It was huge almost twice his size. He pulled a chip out of his back pocket walked over and placed it in a slot just behind the bots calf. It sputter then started.