Tres: "My Father Wasn't Around..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clara wakes up to yelling downstairs and she rubs her eyes, yawning softly. She quietly tiptoes across to the small staircase that lead to the living room. She stops halfway when she sees that the people yelling are her parents. She crouches down so that they can see her.

"It's just a girl Jaz." Her father says, his voice wavering a little and Clara wonders when he got back home.

"Yeah sure. And that girl is pregnant with your child. How could you say that everything is okay?"

Clara's eyebrows furrow at the mention of a child and a girl. What did it have to do with her dad?

"It will be okay."

Her mother scoffs, "Sure it will."

Her father glares at his wife, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Do you just expect me to be okay with the fact that you cheated on me and the girl is pregnant with your child and you've been hiding that for three months?! Is that why you never come home? Is that why you never cared about anything except getting paid?To go back to that...girl?"

Silence follows and all that can be heard is Clara's soft breathing.

"I think you should leave." Her mother says, her voice breaking.

"Jasmine, please don't do this."

Clara watches as her mother shoves her father towards the door with such force that Clara wonders if she has super strength.

"Jasmi-"

"You can pick up your stuff in the morning and say goodbye to the girls."

Her father stops right at the door, forcing himself to stay, "Jasmine, baby, please. Don't do this. You know I love you and those girls as much as you do."

"If you loved us, you wouldn't have strayed."

She slams the door, causing the room to shake slightly. There's silence for a little while until her mother's sobs cut through the tense silence. Clara feels her heart ache at the sound of the sobs and she takes a deep breath before walking down the stairs.

"Mama?"

Her mother looks up at her and Clara can clearly see her features. Her brown hair messy and her round blue eyes look sad and not as bright as they would always be.

She wipes her tears on her pajama sleeve, "Yes sweetie?"

"What's going on?" She asks her mother, trying to act as if she had just woken up.

Jasmine sighs, "Nothing."

"Then why are you crying?"

She takes a deep breath, "Your father and I are going......through some differences and we......might not see each other for a while."

"Oh."

Silence follows as both girls try to think of what to say next.

"Can I tell Elizabeth?"

"No. She understands a lot of things. She's too smart. I don't want her to get upset because of her father."

"Okay...."

Jasmine sighs and gestures for Clara to come towards her. Clara smiles and runs into her mother's arms, giving her a big bear hug.

"Clara. Things are going to be hard now. It's just you, me and Elizabeth."